Newbie with a cd player install problem.

brett

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a search for "cd player install" in both the eldo section and the audio section with no help.

Whats up fellas? I have a 98 eldorado, fully loaded other then the sound system from what i can tell. Has all the other bells and whistles but no cd player. I have a very nice clarion cd player i had in a different car awhile back and decided i wanted to put it in the caddy. If i ever want to sell the eldo i can just put the stock unit back in. How the hell is this done? Is there a write up somewhere? Me and pops could not figure it out.

So i go to a better known local place called "DADS electronics". They were worried that the unit in the car might just be a face plate and the actual player might be in the trunk. They looked around and found no amp or radio unit in the trunk. So they gave me a plug and an antenna adapter and sent me on my way. I asked someone working how hard the install was and he said "Not hard, couple of small sockets is all you'll need" Thats reassuring.

I get home and start. I put a brick under the tire, slid the transmission into 1st and unbolt the bottom of the ashtray. that slides back together with the shifter cover and i dont think it comes completely out so i leave it be.

I see 4 bolts and i pull all four. the bottom half seems like it wants to come out but the top half doesnt. There has to be some bolts up top or on the sides. No problem right?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to them. It looks like the leather trim would have to be removed and i cant figure out how. IT runs all the way back and around the center console so its a big piece.

I ended up just giving up and putting all the original stuff back. Ive spent 50+ dollars just on the install kit, plug, and antenna adapter and id really like to see this go through!

If someone can point me in the direction of a write up or some kind of guide id appreciate it.

Members online

Back