Newbie with 96 sts issues

CaddiLvr

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, great board. Bought a 96 sts thru dealer last week with 88 k miles. Very nice car for the money. Some issues right off the bat, though. I won't go into the adding a subwoofer thing, as i see there is a whole seperate forum for that. First, there is a fan type noise that can become quite loud and annoying seemingly coming from the center console when the car is just sitting with the ignition in the on position and car not even running an no accesories on. Any ideas what this could be and how to fix?
When I wash the car, the rear brake lights all get foggy condensation inside the lenses, what can I do about this?
The owner's manual suggests high octane, premium fuel, how important is this? I hadn't know this for the first few fill ups and every thing seeme to be just fine with 87 octane.
How do i access the codes in the 96 sts? Everything i've read says ignition on, off button and warmer. I don't see a warmer button, which button is this?
Last, Is there a way to get the horn to sound when the doors are locked with the remote, granted the remote only works from two feet away, but it is hard to hear the locks and tough to see the lights on a bright day. I am also going to try the chin method!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for any and all help,

CaddiLvr said:
Hi everyone, great board. Bought a 96 sts thru dealer last week with 88 k miles. Very nice car for the money. Some issues right off the bat, though. I won't go into the adding a subwoofer thing, as i see there is a whole seperate forum for that.
1) First, there is a fan type noise that can become quite loud and annoying seemingly coming from the center console when the car is just sitting with the ignition in the on position and car not even running an no accesories on. Any ideas what this could be and how to fix?

2) When I wash the car, the rear brake lights all get foggy condensation inside the lenses, what can I do about this?

3) The owner's manual suggests high octane, premium fuel, how important is this? I hadn't know this for the first few fill ups and every thing seeme to be just fine with 87 octane.

4) How do i access the codes in the 96 sts? Everything i've read says ignition on, off button and warmer. I don't see a warmer button, which button is this?

5) Last, Is there a way to get the horn to sound when the doors are locked with the remote, granted the remote only works from two feet away, but it is hard to hear the locks and tough to see the lights on a bright day. I am also going to try the chin method!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for any and all help,

I might be able to help with a few questions....but not all.....I do not know much about them......

1) Not sure what to look for, or where to start. Try focusing on finding where it is coming from and try to narrow it down......sorry could not help more.

2) Take the lights out and run a bead of clear silicone around the edges, and maybe add some extra rubber where the bulbs are located.

3) You should run it with the higher octane rated fuel......it could cause problems later with the cats.

4) Good question....the only way I know of is to find the diagnostic port and plug in a tester......other than that.....no idea.

5) Good question again.....you prolly could, but I am not sure what wire from the factory module would give you the proper output. You might be able to put a relay inline with the factory alarm and run the other line to the horn or something....but you would need the factory wiring manual for that. The chim method really works......it will increase the distance like 2 times....if not more.

I hope that helps a bit....If I can find out any more info I will hook you up and post.

:W :Beer​

CaddiLvr, the warmer button is the one with the red color, blue is cooler, and ALWAYS use high octane in your Northstar motor!

PS: if you push the fob twice for "lock", the horn doesn't sound?

and here are the codes:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

Last edited:
And #1 just might be an electric fuel pump noise, just guessing here as you say everything else is off. I know I can hear electric fuel pumps in some vehicles when I turn the key. This sound could be "normal".

To answer number 3, these cars are equipped with Electronic Fuel Injection. Simply put, the manufacturer recommends Premium Fuel for a couple reasons. Here is the major reason. Your car has electronic "knock sensors" that will pull the timing out of the ignition, thereby eliminating the very bad thing called "detonation" that kills pistons and rings and creates alot of internal heat, all of which is bad news. So the higher octane "premium" fuel is less prone to detonate. The engine will run more efficiently with full timimg resulting in better gas mileage, especially if you are heavy on the gas pedal, and owning an STS I can only guess you are. LOL.

So, in conclusion. You can check your gas mileage using 89 or heaven forbid 87 octane vs the 92-93 octane. My suspicions predict you will probably have a wash when comparing the fuel efficiency of the higher octane getting better miles per gallon vs the lower cost lower octane getting worse mileage. The harder you accelerate around town, the more timing that will be pulled out. Your computer will eventually adjust to the new octane so the differences may not be all that noticeable until you really get on it. Obviously the higher octane gas will provide more performance and better acceleration than the lower stuff.

Am I clear? Yes. Am I clear !!!!!!! Yes, crystal !!!

"the remote only works from two feet away, but it is hard to hear the locks and tough to see the lights on a bright day. I am also going to try the chin method!!!!!!!!!!!!"

i know this a old post, I just registered here today and Im reading all the old post...what is this chin or chim method? i noticed my alarm remote doesnt work good from far away, can someone tell me about this little mod!!!!

thanks everyone!

Members online

No members online now.
Back