Newbie here...question already

jderou

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a proud new owner of an '01 LS. I am new to Lincoln, but certainly not new to wrenching in general.
I've been going through old posts here trying to educate myself. Something I decided to do tonight was to check for leaking valve covers. I started taking off one of the plug covers and didn't get very far. One of the bolts just turns, as if their is an insert in the valve cover spinning. Anyone ever have this happen? I'm hoping I don't have to break the screw head off (don't want to have to explain to the wife why I am beating on the car already).
I would appreciate any help.

Joe

204_3 small.JPG

Hello, I am a proud new owner of an '01 LS. I am new to Lincoln, but certainly not new to wrenching in general.
I've been going through old posts here trying to educate myself. Something I decided to do tonight was to check for leaking valve covers. I started taking off one of the plug covers and didn't get very far. One of the bolts just turns, as if their is an insert in the valve cover spinning. Anyone ever have this happen? I'm hoping I don't have to break the screw head off (don't want to have to explain to the wife why I am beating on the car already).
I would appreciate any help.

Joe
The screw does, indeed, go into a molded-in metal insert. Sorry!
KenS from Ben's Place

Tried an impact wrench on it? That might get it cracked loose enough to get it out. I wouldn't wail on it or anything because the valve covers are composite material and could crack.
Other than that, I guess if you're really good with a dremel you could get in there and cut the head off.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back