New Member in Blissfield, Mich.

Ken Nevins

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All:
I did make one earlier posting when we were having trouble with "flash" overheating on our '94 Mark 8. This beautiful car is my wife's pet, so when the "rods started knockin" (as in the Hot Rod Lincoln song), we just had to find another engine for it! Do you blame us? We found a brand new engine that was destined to be a proving ground "mule" but was never used until our mechanic unwrapped the factory packaging! In the process of sorting out several other problems with the car, we used up our short 90 day waranty on the engine. Shortly thereafter it started spiking the temperature whenever we would start it up and drive it a ways. Even though it would always come down (the temp.) we were worried and had a check made for combustion gasses present in the cooling water which came up positive! Oh-oh, what now - horror storries about the difficulty of working on the double-knocker engine - nobody wants too! Well, I thought, I haven't anything to loose by trying a new thermostat, which I did, with intially the same result. However, by persistently going back and carefully re-bleeding the cooling system, I seemed to have cured the problem! The engine is tricky to get all the air out, and air don't work very well as a coolant! Now we have our fingers crossed!
We still have some niggling problems such as: Very Dim low beams (but not brights?), Also, she sinks down on her "knees" and prays to Allah, if you leave her undriven a few days. She just wants to GO! And GO she does, with her new engine! I would never suffer her the indignity of taking her to the drag strip, but as an old drag-racer, she feels like low 15's to me! Sh! don't tell my wife I've been out burning rubber! Yeeha!

Best Regards, Ken ^_^

Welcome Ken to the Board!

Interesting story. I would watch that head gasket thing pretty close. The radiator may also be plugged up. May want to replace that, especially with the motor install.

I you are going to buy new air bags and keep the car awhile, go with the 2nd gen bags for about $215 each and do the work yourself. We'll take you through how to do it.

I may have to notify your wife that you have been smokin' in the car. LOL.

I agree with MonsterMark about the head gasket and i would replace the radiator just to be on the safe side. :Welcome: :give :Beer :smilies-3

Hi Ken, Welcome to the site. :iconcur: I also think you may want to check the radiator. How many miles are on the car? It is true it is a trick to getting all thte air out.

I have to agree with Bryan and the others, you may want to replace the rad. A brand new repalcement can be had for around $200 (maybe lower if you look around) you may have a few blocked passages in the system that cause the temp to rise like it does.

As for the suspension, you may have leaky bags up front (might be the soleniod o-rings, but highly doubtful....unless the suspension has been worked on in the past). As was stated, it would be wise to go with the Gen 2 (97-98) bags, they supposedly have a better ride quality.

Give Max @ 5 Star Ford a call for any part you need for your Mark, he is THE MAN. His number is 1-800-866-1520 ext 236.

Oh...... :W to the LvC and hope you enjoy your stay....better late than never I guess.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back