New battery with Starter?

92 Arizona Towncar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
had a question with a Battery/starter... I've heard you should change your battery if you're going to change your starter... Why is this? :cool:

Im not sure with the starter - but your suppose to change it with the alternator. Reason being its assumed the alternator would have been spitting out screwy electric levels and most likely damaged the battery in the process - the starter only draws power - so I dont know that the same thing would apply.

92 Arizona Towncar said:
had a question with a Battery/starter... I've heard you should change your battery if you're going to change your starter... Why is this? :cool:

I agree with Joeychgo, you may not necessarily need a new one, just have it checked. But usually you will need a new one by the time you find out you need a new alternator (when the car dies..). Once I had a battery explode under the hood of my old car as I tried to crank/start my car. I open the hood, expecting acid everywhere, and there was nothing. Just a few cells were empty and the cover had blown off, yet it still amazed me that there was little to no acid anywhere. Sure enough, it was my alternator.

92 Arizona Towncar said:

No...that is not true....but what Joey said is....especially with our cars (Mark VIII's are the WORST for this). So as far as the starter/battery is concerned.....no....but alternator/battery.....yes.

Hey, cool...I got one right!
:p

Actually, I know this from when I owned a crown vic. Same thing happened to me. The battery can crew up the alternator, and vice versa -- so its safer to change them both.

Ah, I loved that car. 84 crown vic -- ex cop car. Only thing about it was that ford had "a better idea" and put the variable venturi carb in that car. half made of nylon........ which all melted when the car backfired... then it was a $1000 part -- or $200 and Joey learns how to rebuild a carb. I learned.

Last edited:
I actually meant to say alternator instead of starter... oops... The reason I asked is because the battery I have now in my car looks to be kinda of old... I know it's been going for over a year since it's the battery that came with the cr when I bought a year ago... I was thinking that if I change the battery out, maybe I should just change the alternator as well since it could be getting up there with age... I don't remember the previous owner saying anything about having to change his alternator when I bought the car... What do you guys think? :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back