need s.o.s!!!!

LSCGODDESS98

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
hi all , i have an issue regarding my 98 LSC..
im unsure about something... does 98's have ignition wires to the plus or is it plug to coil when removing the covers on the engine to get to the plugs?

today i took my baby to the dealer to get an oilchange, but then too asked if they can run my car for codes,cause my engine light came on,plus i got the shakes at 45mpg, problem is that lin merc service dept says i need the following,please tell me what i dont need for doin a tune up
1 coil
air filter
fuel filter
plat spark plugs
iggnition wires
pcv valve

now, i went to an outsider for a sec opinion with out telling them i need thos part listed above(lol actin dumb like i dont know whats happening...) anyways....
the mechanic said he would chang the sparkplugs and iggn wires,but coil unsure,cause the shakes could go away with out changin the coil...is this right?

now another thing,im buyin my own parts, so i went to ford parts dept,not linc merc,asked for the parts which lin merc said i needed, and he said wait ur car doent need iggn wires!!!!, cause you have coil to plugs..why would lin merc and an outsider say i need to get thos parts....so who do i listen to??????

so who's tryin to screww me outta xmas money this yr?
so far i got my fuel filter, air filter, my plat sparkplugs,all for $75.00 from ford(motor sport),no coil yet;/
omg..i forgot the pcv valve....;/

all responces are greatly appreciated.;)..monday morning im planing to get my baby runnin right...till then she outta comission :L :give

OK - FIRST of all ---- dont go to the dealership for parts. Look at the ads on the right. Maxx at 5 starr will take good care of you for OEM parts as well as have the best prices -- and for the upgraded parts, geno at LMS will treat ya right.Second - STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALER - Find a good local mechanic. For one, the labor rate is half as much outside of a dealer.

The second gen (97-98) Mark VIII's do NOT have ignition wires!!! They have coil on plug system, also you do not need an ignition coil since they have the coils right on the plugs. They were most likely gonna screw you by tellin you that because you are a woman. ALOT of places do that........no matter if it is a dealer or a local shop.

Secondly, like Joey said.....give Max a call at 5 Star Ford....NO ONE can beat his prices.....and if they do, Max will match/beat it.

What I would do, is go back there and ask them to clarify what parts they said that you need, and why. If they still insist on those exact parts I would call the BBB and file a complaint......that is what I would do.

1wykdmk8 said:

Secondly, like Joey said.....give Max a call at 5 Star Ford....NO ONE can beat his prices.....and if they do, Max will match/beat it.

AND he will be discounting Gold Members even further - he's jsut working out those details with his boss now.

where are you located? if your close i could either have you come here or i could come to you i have a code reader and would be happy to help you out.
you may actually need just a tune up and possibly 1 of the coil packs might be bad but like i said id be more than happy to help you out.
Eric

Thanks you guys..i im on the island/suffolk county!
i was thinking the same regarding the coils to sparkplugs.
it a shame i have getting my car done at the same place since i got her.
it totally made no sence about the wires.
i follow this website and i like it alot...i figured get get more light on the situation...
thnaks guys...

hey joey..lol here i come ;)

well guys i got my baby done yesterday...and boy..mmm she running like she just off the lot in 98,(unfortunalty i wound up getting sloppy seconds...heheheh
i got my plat sparks, #3 coil which was bad, and throttle body cleaned, air filter,fuel filter..the onlyy thing i forgot is my pvc valve...
other than that..she a quick picker upper...lol!

NO i did not go to my dealer to get fixed...i used my outsider source to do the work..so ok for now...

lol i dont know if this is a mind thing..like it's in ur head when u get ur car service..it feels faster..lol..that day it was quick as hell when i did the test drive b4 payin up,but now..that fast felling like disapeared. is it cause im used to my car u think or should i check something out?
well like i was gonna say,im gonna have to refrain from goin there now meaning the dealers for anything <<sorry charlie, :N u blew it...u blew it :N !!!!>...thats ashame after establishing a loyal/good customer relationship with them...
i think it all started when the mechanic in there was mad the he didnt get the job/$ for doin service on my a/c..which turned out to be a $400 job,for a 20 peice...from what he said my "o" ring is bad and thats why i dont have cold air for a/c..does that sound right???
lol all he did was recharge the a/c..but what was the point..it all ecaped anyways and i got charged for crap,and still had hot ass air blowin in my face in 98degree weather...ick...lol anyways i like my windows open anyways...so i left it alone since! :L

The o-ring thing sounds right. I bought a Dakota that had the same problem. The guy told me that he was not sure why the a/c did not work. So, I purchased one of those swap over kits and started to install it and as soon as the compressor kicked in, it started leaking in several places (looks like it did not have any of the refridgerant for quite some time). So I purchased an o-ring kit for a/c, and replaced every one that I could find/get to. That is what you will have to do. Since there is no refridgerant in your system, you do not have to worry about environment restrictions. So, you can buy a universal o-ring kit for a/c units and go about replacing all the connections that you can unbolt as to replace the o-rings.....hope that helps!

1wykdmk8 said:
The o-ring thing sounds right. I bought a Dakota that had the same problem. The guy told me that he was not sure why the a/c did not work. So, I purchased one of those swap over kits and started to install it and as soon as the compressor kicked in, it started leaking in several places (looks like it did not have any of the refridgerant for quite some time). So I purchased an o-ring kit for a/c, and replaced every one that I could find/get to. That is what you will have to do. Since there is no refridgerant in your system, you do not have to worry about environment restrictions. So, you can buy a universal o-ring kit for a/c units and go about replacing all the connections that you can unbolt as to replace the o-rings.....hope that helps!
dont forget the orifice tube it probably shot due to contamination

Members online

No members online now.
Back