Need Opinions On 06 Cts 3.6

xtranaut

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a loaded 06 CTS with low miles for quite some time. I wanted an o7 but a dealer called me with an 06. IT has ltd slip/sports suspension with the 17" rims and a fairly new set of Firestone Firehawks.

I started cramming for research on this year CTS and found nothing but trouble in every inch of the car. Everything from shorts in the instrument ilumination switch causing the battery to die (and dealers never really fixing the problem so it happens over and over)...using a quart or more of oil every 1000 miles (and being told by the dealer, "they do that"), rear end noises, vibrations and leaks (resulting in replacing differentials that never solved the problem), excessive tire wear (that weas more connected to the car than bad ties but GM didn't want to fess up......and on and on and on.

I drove his 06 and like most fair reviews I found it to be as responsive as the BMW 530 I used to own (although the rde wasn't quit as married to the pavement as a Beemer). Yes, it's a little on the cheap for a Caddy, interior wise but the layout is nice. It misses being a real Euro-style 21st century car in a few areas..like having no ipod jack or bluetooth but it makes up for it in style.

My very big problem now is, should I buy this car that seems to have inherited lots of the same problems in many vehicles-especially at odometers above 25 and 30k miles?

I had great enthusiasm for getting this car but I expect problems on cars to be relatively small and done in the first 10k of break in. I don't want to put money into something that starts bleeding you for money about the time the warranty is out.

So, are these only isolated experiences from 06 CTS owners who are more vocal or are these problems rampant in this model Caddy in 06?

Even the junk stuff bothers me. I see reviews where the nice wooden shifter knob is loose but will not tighten..buttons falling off and the suede like coating over the plastic center display parts peels.

How does this happen in a car like Caddy that sells for 40k??? Do Americans just not care to put pride and craftsmanship into anything anymore because the company won't bend over for some stiff union wage hike...or is it the company content to rest on laurels of yesterday while putting out a chincy plastic garbage bucket?

I am eager to hear your experiences and opinions before I plunk my money down.

Members online

Back