need help

millsy_09

New LVC Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anybody has a solution to this prob ? My car was running completly fine, then there was no power when I stepped on the gas pedal. I looked underneath and the catalyic converter was glowing hot. So I took it to the muffler shop and got the cat replaced. I drove home with the same problem, zero power and again the cat was glowing. The car is idoling rough and it seems like its not burning the fuel correctly. Then the check engine light came on? Juts wondering if anybody has a solution to the prob, as I would like to fix myself rather than take it to a mechanic. Thanks all.

Aaron

What year is your Cadillac?

If it's 1995 or before do the following to enter into the diagnostic mode:

For OBD I equipped GM vehicles (up to model year 1995).

To enter diagnostic mode:
1. Turn ignition "ON."
2. Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

To get out of the diagnostic mode anytime during the test, depress the "AUTO" or "DEFOG" button, or turn the ignition switch "OFF." Trouble codes are not erased if this is done prior to selecting "CODES CLEARED."

For OBD II equipped GM vehicles (model year 1996+).

A cable is plugged into the OBD-II J1962 connector and the other end is connected to a scan tool. A hand-held scan tool is usually limited to one OBD-II system type - there are three basic OBD-II protocols in use, each with minor variations on the communication pattern between the on-board diagnostic computer and the scan tool. In general, Chrysler products and all European and most Asian imports use ISO 9141 circuitry. GM cars and light trucks use SAE J1850 VPW (Variable Pulse Width Modulation), and Fords use SAE J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) for communication.

Members online

No members online now.
Back