My newest gun purchase

marked8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Got the itch again and bought a S&W .38 airweight J frame. This one might end up with the wife though as I might commandeer the Keltec PF9 on days when I don't want to wear my XD 40 subcompact.

Obligatory pics:

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

With my other pistols:

IMG_0863.jpg

And with my DPMS AR:

IMG_0864.jpg

Now I just need a good AK, a pump shotgun and a 1911 and I should be good for a while.

I would like to have a hammer-less revolver. I've been to a few guns show lately and have looked a titanium hammer-less Taurus. Good purchase!

Got the itch again and bought a S&W .38 airweight J frame. This one might end up with the wife though as I might commandeer the Keltec PF9 on days when I don't want to wear my XD 40 subcompact.

Obligatory pics:

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

With my other pistols:

IMG_0863.jpg

And with my DPMS AR:

IMG_0864.jpg

Now I just need a good AK, a pump shotgun and a 1911 and I should be good for a while.

Good for you. We travel back and forth to Fla. We're Snowbirds but I do work parttime down here in the winter. Wouldn't drive a mile out there on the INTERSTATES without being armed. Things aren't like they used to be.

Let me suggest a Detonics .45 and an Ithaca 37 riot gun. And you'll be much better served with an H&K 91 than a Kalashnikov. The .30 Russian Short is pretty week-kneed next to .308. JMO
KS

I love my HK91! :cool:

indeed.

what's with you other guys and your bad choices in makes?

S&W.....not so good quality....
DPMS....also not so good quality but still in the top 8 as far as reliability, quality, price, and fit-n-finish
Kektec....don't get me started.....

I see the good one in your collection is a Springfield XD

if you want a good 1911 go with Ed Baur, Dan Wesson, or Kimber if you want great quality out of the box (p.s. only the good kimbers are worthy, not the cheapy assembly line ones)

or you can get a norinco and do custom work to it.

if you want a good AK go for the Norinco, Russian (which you can't get), or a Yugoslav one....best quality metals and great prices on em, even the best reliability and accuracy on these 3.

Pump shotty is best to stick with a Winchester or Remmington since sportmen shotguns/rifles are what they are known for :-D

here's some of mine

l_1be32848157c99f8a01f11691fc9711b.jpg

l_1fd3dc3cd0586fd610e7297c9b1252f7.jpg

l_2ac9c840f69e691c6ef5a33134b34041.jpg

l_5f41db71f5d501ff9542877b26efab75.jpg

l_38d314fdd9be10a80e5fad9daafeb77d.jpg

l_de1f28c227a45bb59277f3e751cd79fe.jpg

l_e57aadb9165639910636f8f70b28ef18.jpg

l_88a58fd91df1004be8faabc64c991b34.jpg

l_b6c0245eeec8a9698bd34e6d81f160b2.jpg

l_b19ce70c7663c5ccbaa1c906ac46cf6b.jpg

l_bca7ef18c77d9551346e2e131558908b.jpg

l_f9c75ff0e5282edd292b67106590c772.jpg

indeed.

what's with you other guys and your bad choices in makes?

S&W.....not so good quality....

The new J frames are dead on reliable, well built and very effective for what it is supposed to do. There are nothing but good reviews for them. It will be getting some range time later today with the wife. The one in the pic is the new generation that just came in.
DPMS....also not so good quality but still in the top 8 as far as reliability, quality, price, and fit-n-finish

It is a mid range AR. I don't needs or want fancy gadgets;). The gas key was staked properly from the factory (surprisingly) so that saved me some aggravation.
Kektec....don't get me started.....

The Keltec is cheap and feels like a toy yes, but has been reliable after break in. Great warm weather pocket pistol in 9 MM. Not fun to try and break in though.

I see the good one in your collection is a Springfield XD

You forgot the Glock 23 and the Cougar .40. Before you try to bash the Cougar, it has not suffered a single misfire in 1500+ rounds fired and still looks like new. The Glock is my least favorite of the 3.

if you want a good AK go for the Norinco, Russian (which you can't get), or a Yugoslav one....best quality metals and great prices on em, even the best reliability and accuracy on these 3. The only piece of junk in the picture is the Jennings model 48 in the lower left. I use it (literally) as a paper weight. I won it in a poker game 16-17 years ago and should have demanded the cash. It is a pot metal POS.

Probably will go Yugoslav, I don't really want a Chinese rifle.
Pump shotty is best to stick with a Winchester or Remmington since sportmen shotguns/rifles are what they are known for :-D

here's some of mine

I will probably keep it simple with a Remington 870 pump. It is what we used when I worked at the prison and I have always had a soft spot for it. Nice collection you have by the way. I just started to build mine back up after selling everything when my daughter was born. She will be in college in a few years and this is my chance for my hobby to flourish before college bills come in. The 1911 I buy will be mid range, just like everything else I buy. I'm a cheap bastard and like to get a lot of my buck.

The new J frames are dead on reliable, well built and very effective for what it is supposed to do. There are nothing but good reviews for them. It will be getting some range time later today with the wife. The one in the pic is the new generation that just came in.

It is a mid range AR. I don't needs or want fancy gadgets;). The gas key was staked properly from the factory (surprisingly) so that saved me some aggravation.

The Keltec is cheap and feels like a toy yes, but has been reliable after break in. Great warm weather pocket pistol in 9 MM. Not fun to try and break in though.

You forgot the Glock 23 and the Cougar .40. Before you try to bash the Cougar, it has not suffered a single misfire in 1500+ rounds fired and still looks like new. The Glock is my least favorite of the 3.

Probably will go Yugoslav, I don't really want a Chinese rifle.

I will probably keep it simple with a Remington 870 pump. It is what we used when I worked at the prison and I have always had a soft spot for it. Nice collection you have by the way. I just started to build mine back up after selling everything when my daughter was born. She will be in college in a few years and this is my chance for my hobby to flourish before college bills come in. The 1911 I buy will be mid range, just like everything else I buy. I'm a cheap bastard and like to get a lot of my buck.

as long as you're happy buddy. I'm not a glock fan only because they are the HONDAs of the gun work, sure they are reliable and easy to use and take apart but too many people have them and I don't feel special owning one. Plus they hate particular ammunition. Cougar....never heard of em :p

The Chinese is actually the lightest weight and most accurate AK47 I've ever shot and that's considering I've shot a total of 15 models from 6 different countries :p

here's an example in the attachment.

Remington is fun plus the customizations. You can get a look-alike stock to the famous Franchi Spas-12 auto-semiauto shotty. Sadly the Franchi is as reliable as an Alfa Romeo and as hard to find parts for..but I suggest as the most superior defense shotgun as it's weight makes it perfect for lower muzzleclimb which equal dead on accuracy.

Another shotgun tha'ts fun you can look into is the Taurus Judge. Taurus still has retarded basis for 1911s but the Taurus judge is quite fun.

I do agree that S&W Pro Performance branch does make good sh*t. My father own a S&W 460 4" and that beauty is a beast. If you decide to get one I can hook you up with a few sites that sell 454 casull to 460 for only 20-25 dollars per box of 20.

l_26ba86b20f2dd9e034199fdd62ba1359.jpg

Glocks don't like reloads. As long as you never use reloads you are fine. The Cougar is made by Beretta and was the predecessor the the PX4 storm. Stoeger (owned by Beretta) now makes the Cougar in Turkey. The rotating barrel makes it particularly accurate in rapid fire exercises, and I use it every year when I requal.

if you want a good AK go for the Norinco, Russian (which you can't get), or a Yugoslav one....best quality metals and great prices on em, even the best reliability and accuracy on these 3.

Russian you can't get? What about Saigas? I have 3 Saiga 12s, 1 Saiga 7.62x39, and one Saiga 308. They all have been converted so no weird hunting style stocks.

They all say "Made in Russia" on the sides. :)

They aren't made in russia. They are using spare russian recievers left over from the Soviet period.

That's why Saiga's are made my the Russian-American Armory........what part of "American" in the title you do not get? Authentic Russian AK47s are hard to get due to the fullauto restrictions (LE & Military only) and the fact that the manufacturing corperations were halted by the newer Russian regime that took place when the soviet collapse occured. They AK47s, though, are still outsourced and sold to other countries by the soviets because they have TONS left over from when they were made a few years prior to the Vietnam war.

worst AK47 variant to buy is the Romanian ones. If you own a Romanian AK47, you fail at life!

They aren't made in russia. They are using spare russian recievers left over from the Soviet period.

That's why Saiga's are made my the Russian-American Armory........what part of "American" in the title you do not get? Authentic Russian AK47s are hard to get due to the fullauto restrictions (LE & Military only) and the fact that the manufacturing corperations were halted by the newer Russian regime that took place when the soviet collapse occured. They AK47s, though, are still outsourced and sold to other countries by the soviets because they have TONS left over from when they were made a few years prior to the Vietnam war.

Huh?

Sorry to argue you over this but the Saigas are made in Russia. Izhmash is located in Izhevsk Udmurt Republic, Russia and their rifles are made there. Izhmash is the factory that makes Siagas.

The Saigas are rifles and shotguns imported under the sporting clause which allows them to circumvent the ban on assault weapon importation. They are imported with no bayonet lug, no flash hider (not threaded), sporting style stocks (no pistol grip or thumbhole), and mags are limited to 10 rounds.

Once they are legally in the US, they are then converted to "US made" to comply with the 922r rules which means they cannot have more than 10 imported parts. So American companies such as Arsenal will replace the trigger groups (3 US parts), pistol grip, stock, front handguard, and gas pistons. Once those parts, the gun is legally "American" made and you can use high cap mags and all the fun stuff. You can then thread the barrels too and put a US made flash hider on them too.

But the receivers, barrels, trunnions, bolts, bolt carriers, top covers, etc are all genuine real Russian parts. Quite often, the receivers are dimpled Y stamped military receivers that just never had the evil 3rd hole punched.

All Russian American Armory is is an importer. They are no different than any gun importer like Century, American Tactical Imports, Legacy Sports, and even Springfield Armory (they import the XD line of pistols. But RAA isn't a factory.

If you really want to learn more about the Saigas, a good place is the Saiga 12 forums: http://forum.saiga-12.com .

Huh?

Sorry to argue you over this but the Saigas are made in Russia. Izhmash is located in Izhevsk Udmurt Republic, Russia and their rifles are made there. Izhmash is the factory that makes Siagas.

The Saigas are rifles and shotguns imported under the sporting clause which allows them to circumvent the ban on assault weapon importation. They are imported with no bayonet lug, no flash hider (not threaded), sporting style stocks (no pistol grip or thumbhole), and mags are limited to 10 rounds.

Once they are legally in the US, they are then converted to "US made" to comply with the 922r rules which means they cannot have more than 10 imported parts. So American companies such as Arsenal will replace the trigger groups (3 US parts), pistol grip, stock, front handguard, and gas pistons. Once those parts, the gun is legally "American" made and you can use high cap mags and all the fun stuff. You can then thread the barrels too and put a US made flash hider on them too.

But the receivers, barrels, trunnions, bolts, bolt carriers, top covers, etc are all genuine real Russian parts. Quite often, the receivers are dimpled Y stamped military receivers that just never had the evil 3rd hole punched.

All Russian American Armory is is an importer. They are no different than any gun importer like Century, American Tactical Imports, Legacy Sports, and even Springfield Armory (they import the XD line of pistols. But RAA isn't a factory.

If you really want to learn more about the Saigas, a good place is the Saiga 12 forums: http://forum.saiga-12.com .

don't forget FN to which all FAL recievers are from Brazil :-D

so I miscalculated the SAigas parts. I just new for sure that they are not 100% russian and that the main compenents ARE Russian...that's what I was made aware of when I went AK47 shopping.

And Romanian weapons are dirt cheap for a reason....it's like a Kia...easy to get...canm live with it...but you'll regret it's not as fun, accurate, or durable as other makes

don't forget FN to which all FAL recievers are from Brazil :-D

so I miscalculated the SAigas parts. I just new for sure that they are not 100% russian and that the main compenents ARE Russian...that's what I was made aware of when I went AK47 shopping.

And Romanian weapons are dirt cheap for a reason....it's like a Kia...easy to get...canm live with it...but you'll regret it's not as fun, accurate, or durable as other makes

You are exactly correct, they are not 100 percent russian after they are converted which sucks donkey balls but its the only way own a real Russian with our stupid laws.

I agree about the Romys, they are cheap. I would much rather have a Yugo or Norinco any day over a Romy. I have 3 Yugos and enough kits to make 3 more. My favorite is my Yugo underfolder.

ahh yes the underfold, my buddy had the one in the picture above with mine...his was a yugo and mine is a norinco

Russian you can't get? What about Saigas? I have 3 Saiga 12s, 1 Saiga 7.62x39, and one Saiga 308. They all have been converted so no weird hunting style stocks.

They all say "Made in Russia" on the sides. :)
Here's my Saiga 308:

Rifle 010.jpg

Rifle 010.jpg

Ohhh, I like it. I wish my Saiga 308 was a long barrel. I really want to build a PSL Saiganov clone using one.

I like my Keltec 9mm, unlike all the others in my CCW class that brought bigger guns to qualify with, I decided to use the one I'd carry, got compliments on how well I did. Having the star on the marksmanship ribbon from military days helped too. I also have a cheap 9mm FM (Argentina) high power clone, shoots ok with ball ammo, not so good with HP ammo. The Desert Eagle .357 is a brute, just isn't ergonomic for me so I'm just considering it an investment since the deal landed in my lap. My fav handgun is the HK P9S that I've had for a lot of years. Love that gun.

Pic isn't my Eagle but similar, mine has the dark upper reciever and stainless lower, and mine is .357.

deserteaglerb.jpg

My overall pride and joy, is my early .308 Galil. It's a heavy beast but I don't mind. It's an excellent weapon I can count on, hot or cold and I've seen the test results to back it up. The desert test showed the test shooter full body standing in the desert. Come shooting time he reaches into the sand in front of him, pulls out the Galil, briefly shakes the sand out of it, chambers a round and fires the full magazine. It also scored a tie for 1st in the cold weather testing in Alaska with FN, and Valmet as the only guns in the test (about 5-6 others) that worked without malfunctions. I recall the HK-91 and 93 broke their bolts. Since I used to have a 91 that surprised me.

galil308b.jpg

Speaking of weight, my Feather USA .22. Coolest .22 around and cheap to shoot.

cnv0924.jpg

I love your Galil and Desert Eagle (I know the pic isn't yours). The Galil is a holy grail weapon for me. I love AKM based weapons and the Galil is pretty much the cream of the crop.

I have a Desert Eagle too but mine is the 50AE. I had a 357 magnum one but I just wanted the big one. I had to hand load my 357 magnums with enough powder so that it would cycle the gun. I want to get a 44 magnum barrel for my Desert Eagle for economy shooting. LOL

I've only shot the Eagle on one occasion, and also noticed only certain ammo would cycle it. So far I know what to use. Good to know it's not that unique of a problem. It's not like mines going to get used a lot anyway.

I've only shot the Eagle on one occasion, and also noticed only certain ammo would cycle it. So far I know what to use. Good to know it's not that unique of a problem. It's not like mines going to get used a lot anyway.

The big key for 357 magnum Desert eagles is to use heavy hot rounds. 158 grain bullets are the best. If you use rounds with 125 grain or 110 grain bullets, they won't have the oompth to cycle the gun.

A lot of the ordinary 357 magnum rounds like Blazer won't cycle the guns.

Members online

No members online now.
Back