My driver-side mirror

lincoln_mk8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I ran into a slight problem at a bar. Some random person decided to embed my mirror into itself and I have to replace it. (I didn't see it happen, I just came outside and it was all smashed in, probably some drunk)

I managed to find a replacement part at a salvage yard as Motorcraft no longer makes this mirror for the Mark VIII. I've been trying to find visual documentation online that shows how to take the mirror on and off the car.

I already know how to put the mirror into the backing, but taking the backing off of the car is proving to be a challenege. There is a small black plastic piece that's covering up one of the bolts that holds onto the mirror (aside from the little rubber circular covering that hides the other bolt) and I need to know how that piece of plastic comes off because I dont want to crack or break it.

Any help will be very appreciated. :)

So are you trying to replace the whole mirror assembly or just the glass? Sounds like you're trying to take off the whole mirror but just can't find a screw holding it on? Is this the situation, I'm a little confused... Hope you figure it out...

Yes, on the Mark VIII driver side mirror, it has a few components. The mirror itself, the electronic componenets that move the mirror and apply electricity to the motors and the dimming feature, and the outter shell or backing of the mirrior thats attached to the car by way of three bolts.

When I open the door and approach the problem from the inside, there is a small black plastic piece that covers two of the three bolts. The third bolt is covered by a small, circular rubber piece that plugs the 1" dia. hole drilled by the factory for access.

The issue Im having is taking the small plastic piece off so I can remove the first two bolts. I've tried to look online for a pictoral to show me how that little plastic part is being held in place because I dont want to crack or break that piece.

Members online

Back