Misbehaving wipers

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a bit of a problem with my windshield wipers, when they are on the intermittent setting, they tend to just stop anywhere. To get them to move again you have to move the position of the wiper switch, then they will move a bit more and stop again, and so on. When on the 'lo' or 'hi' setting they work fine, they even 'park' ok if you can get them to stop in the right place. The funny thing is, when the car has warmed up a bit, they work fine!

Any ideas anyone?

Same problem here. The UK? What kind of looks do you get over there in a Mark VII?

Its a real head turner, most people love it. Its a '92 Bill Blass and stock. The cars are quite rare in the UK, but ive seen a couple around. About 2 miles from my house a guy as a real nice MK VIII which he swapped an even nicer old MK V for.

I had the same problem in my GMC...Turned out that the trip sensor on the motor had gotten condensation in it and was screwing with the electric signal that is supposed to tell the motor when to stop. I tried to dry the connectors but they were so old and beat up that I just ended up replacing the whole motor. Problem solved.

All you guys in the UK are making me want to get orders there. I miss that place...

On a Mark VIII the wiper motor is going bad... been there done that... ask me about my list of issues ;)

re-Markable LSC: Yeah, its left hand drive. It came over from Florida last Feb.

jimbob said:
Hi, I have a bit of a problem with my windshield wipers, when they are on the intermittent setting, they tend to just stop anywhere. To get them to move again you have to move the position of the wiper switch, then they will move a bit more and stop again, and so on. When on the 'lo' or 'hi' setting they work fine, they even 'park' ok if you can get them to stop in the right place. The funny thing is, when the car has warmed up a bit, they work fine!

Any ideas anyone?
Our 1990 -1992's are notorious for having stalk problems.
It's on my Fix Or Repair Daily list.

The stalk is going bad....happens alot. I swapped mine out for a CHROME stalk from a continental. Takes some time, but cost less than %80 new FORD unit. The MARK VII stalk is unique to the car and will not DIRRECTLY interchange with other ford units.....I explained it on the FvC.com site to a fella having the same problem.

Thanks, so i just get one off a same model year (1992) Continental and it will go straight on?

Thanks Pro.
I sometimes feel like a surgeon that's now doing general medicine. I'm so used to saying to mechanics, "Just replace it" that I forget about the simple and easy and (gulp) free fixes.

John "Now-Working-On-A-Broke-Dude-Budget" Dancy

Thanks, i'll be sure to give that a go first!

Members online

No members online now.
Back