Manual tranny question

Johnny5SPD

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had my ls for a while and have had zero problems. It is my understanding that the 6 cylinder manual variant is, perhaps, the most trouble-free. My question, though, revolves around the the shifter. Sometimes, when I shift into first gear at a stop, I hear and feel a 'clunking' noise coming from the rear end. It doesn't happen all the time, but more often than not. I was just curious to find out if anyone else has noticed this on their cars, whether or not it's serious and if it's an easy (cheap) fix. Thanks for the help....

make sure the retainer bolts to the rear end are tight . the v6 std. dont come in very often

I don't have a v6 5spd, but this happens in my Mustang when the clutch is not 100% dis-engaged. When you put it in 1st, the input shaft is still turning and it engages like putting an automatic into drive. So...the slack in the drivetrain from being at a stop is taken up. It's not grabbing enough to make the car jump forward, but it is enough to take up that slack. It's just a thought. I hope this makes sense.

My 2000 did this when I first purchased it (with 38,000 miles). Does not do it anymore (72,000 miles).

I did change the trans fluid at 60,000 (as recommended by Ford). I went with Pennzoil Sychromesh Fluid which is a synthetic oil for manual transmissions but not the synthetic recommended by Ford (Mercon V). It is a little thicker and the cahnge was based on previous experience with a Mustang and recommendations from other car lists. Did not seem to make a difference and I can't remember if the clunking stopped before or after the fluid change. The original fluid was quite black and there is very little in the box (as compared to a T5 from the Mustang), so make sure you change it (use either the Mercon V or the Sychromesh) as recommended.

This is defiinitely the sweetest shifting car I have ever driven. Not only that the ratios are fairly well spaced as is the final drive.

I have a 2000 V6, 5 speed, 60000 miles. My transmission does the same, but not all the time.
Nothing is loose and just recently changed the fluid. Used Mobil 1 full synthetic Mercon/ATF. (Mercon/ATF oil is what the owners manual recomends and not Mercon V.) Also added some Lucas transmission oil.
The shifting is smoother but it's still clunks once in a while putting in first gear.
I think lsbit's opinion is right on.
:L

Thanks all....

I think I'll change the fluid and just live with it....and make sure the clutch is dis-engaged.....
Thanks again....

Members online

Back