LS coolant overflow/leak

AquaLS01

LVC Member
Reaction score
I had a problem a few days ago. I stopped my 01 LS8 w/31k miles and steam came out from under the hood on the passenger side. I opened the hood and there seem to be a coolant leak on the passeenger side of the engine bay near the heater core/back of the engine. After the car cooled I added about 1/2 gallon of water to the coolant resevoir. I have driven the car for 3 days and it has not leaked a drop since then. Anyone had a similar problem ? Where is the coolant overflow ? The engine was not overheated the temp. gauge was right where it always is. It was a cool day around 50 degrees.

AquaLS01 said:
I had a problem a few days ago. I stopped my 01 LS8 w/31k miles and steam came out from under the hood on the passenger side. I opened the hood and there seem to be a coolant leak on the passeenger side of the engine bay near the heater core/back of the engine. After the car cooled I added about 1/2 gallon of water to the coolant resevoir. I have driven the car for 3 days and it has not leaked a drop since then. Anyone had a similar problem ? Where is the coolant overflow ? The engine was not overheated the temp. gauge was right where it always is. It was a cool day around 50 degrees.

Do you get an burnt-oil smell w/ the heat/AC going? Reason I ask, my pass-side valve cover gasket was oozing and occasionally I'd get the same "steam cloud" from that side just like you describe (although it looked & smelled more like burnt oil). This happened only a handful of times, and only after a "hard drive" just prior to parking the car. I replaced my VC gaskets this summer and haven't noted any smell or "steam cloud" since.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the coolant overflow is near the bottle on the driver's side, up by the cowl.

Members online

No members online now.
Back