Looking for some boost...

NightHawk13

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to supercharge my car. I see Geno's got some Vortech kit on his site, and i don't really have enough time to call him about this. Somebody please point me in the right direction. I know very little and am trying my best to learn what i can. i know i'm looking at a complete fuel system upgrade, and i don't know of any direct bolt Centrif. SC kits out there. Anybody please help me! By the way this is my first post, I've been doing what I can to my Mark given time and sometimes money restraints. pics will be up soon.

If you are short on funds, don't waste your time. Just go NOX. $500.00 and you're in. You'll have adleast $5,000 plus tied up in even a small centri unit, which may or may not require alot of little fab work. What year car ??
You'll then want to get a good set of gears and a posi (trac LOk) setup and a new drive shaft. That'll cost you close to another grand. If you are still interested in more you can look down on this forum and see what some of us have done. OH and buy the way --- Welcome to the site!!

it's a 95... money's not really an issue to me, I figure i'll get all the repairs done first then go super. i still get that jump at low rpms around 55 or 75, i was told theres nothing really wrong with the tranny it's just overheating, like i said i don't know much and all help is appreciated.

You're going to need to J-Mod the tranny to handle more power. You're also going to need to add a cooler and possibly a deeper pan for some extra fluid.
First three articles on here cover the j-mod. http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html
I've seen two set-ups on these cars. The centrifugal that you spoke of was one. That usually goes along with a cobra intake and quite a few other mods. I've also seen some twin-screw setups. I believe roadboss has one. Do some searching this has been discussed.

I've heard around the fab shop that the screw is the way to go with these engines. And if moneys no object check roadboss's posts,I think theirs a number in their that tells you how much it cost for 530 reliable horses to the rear.

Kenne Bell top-mounted twin-screw supercharger is the way to go. Boosts the weak-assed low-end torque of the 4.6 and force-feeds it all the way to 7K. It's like a never-ending powerband. Easier to install than the Vortech, no need to punch the oil pan, and it's almost like replacing the intake manifold and putting on a new belt. Find a used one on corral.net for a great deal.

Or just say "fvck it" and go with a set of 4.30 gears and a chip...

Does the kenne bell just bolt up? I was almost positive you need to make some modification

There is no kit from KB that is a direct fit for our cars. I utilized a tuner kit with IC for the Mach1 as I changed my heads over to the "C" style. It still required doing additional mods to the fuel system, transmission, drive shaft, and rear end setup, as well as headers and exhaust.

Actually there is the 2.1 kit non intercooled for the B heads, it's not quite direct but it is for our heads...

It was stated earlier, we're beating a dead horse. Alot of this stuff has been very well documented.

Either way is extremely involved. A little searching shows it's no easy job.

Not for Mark Vlll. Needs more work.

Roadboss, you seem to know/imply to know what it would take to get the 2.1L KB to fit on our B-heads. What exactly is involved in this? I've been looking at this kit as well for a bit of extra power and would love to hear any and all input please :) I've not found much info on this kit and our cars through searching...

It's the fact that there is no kit for the B heads that is equivalent to the C head. The C head packadge has a air over water ic. This may not be of much interest to some , but if you are going to do it, then allow yourself the opportunity to wick it up.

Any one who is going to take a well used car and just drop a super charger on it with no thought as to the true condition of the motor and drive train should just buy a nitrous setup and forget about it. They will be money ahead, or ??? There are lots of answers to this.

It's the fact that there is no kit for the B heads that is equivalent to the C head. The C head packadge has a air over water ic. This may not be of much interest to some , but if you are going to do it, then allow yourself the opportunity to wick it up.

Any one who is going to take a well used car and just drop a super charger on it with no thought as to the true condition of the motor and drive train should just buy a nitrous setup and forget about it. They will be money ahead, or ??? There are lots of answers to this.
I know there's no C-head eqivalent kit, but the kit offered for the B-heads should make for an overall more fun car. It will help the low end torque which is key on our heavier cars. I know I'm not going to be making any sort of beast, but it will definately help. I just want to make a more fun car for the summer. I think this KB with other mods (trans, diff, etc) and a good tune will fit my needs.
I've been thinking it through about either building an engine first like you mentioned and going for a C-head swap, then a bigger ic'd KB down the road, but I'm not sure if I really want to sink that kind of money into the car even though it is low mileage and in excellent condition... I don't want to run nitrous.
Thanks for the info, please keep it coming so I can figure this all out.
:)

Which category are you in?:

1) You'll dump 5 plus g's in a blower setup on a car with miles that will probably have side effects, and you'll still want to go faster anyways.

2) You'll dump 500- 1g in a nitrous setup on a car with miles that will probably have side effects, ....and, "you'll still want to go faster anyways."

Members online

Back