Lookin to buy an STS....Good car or no?

Flyinlow89@hotmail.com

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i have loud, noisey, fast muscle cars....Now that Im done school, Im looking for a nice car to drive everyday and in winter. I was mainly looking for a GTP, but im seriously considering an STS (around 1999-2001) Are these good cars? how is insurance compared to a GTP? any info/opinions are greatly appreciated

Sifrino3 said:
Yep, have you driven the cadi yet.

no. i was shopping for GTPs...drove them. and just yesterday i saw a few STS's in the autotrader and ive always loved them. so hopefully later this week i will get a chance to go see/test driuve some. Im assuming they drive nice??

I drove one once. It was smooth. But I was driving a Cavalier with 40s as tires. (Cavi-Beater) So, anything could have been better. But seemed like an awesome ride. But I will never give up the Linc!

I used to own an STS. They're great cars, there's very little that I'd take above it. Right now I have an Eldo, which is also a great choice, but the four door is great. The 2001 STS does a 6.5 0-60, so it's about the exact same as the GTP speed wise I believe, but definitely a bit more luxurious ;-) The 2001 Eldorado is right around those speeds, too.

The Caddy won't have as many pre-made aftermarket upgrades as the Pontiac, but you can still speed it up quite a bit by doing cheap custom things.

In the end, I'd go with the STS

K2K said:
I used to own an STS. They're great cars, there's very little that I'd take above it. Right now I have an Eldo, which is also a great choice, but the four door is great. The 2001 STS does a 6.5 0-60, so it's about the exact same as the GTP speed wise I believe, but definitely a bit more luxurious ;-) The 2001 Eldorado is right around those speeds, too.

The Caddy won't have as many pre-made aftermarket upgrades as the Pontiac, but you can still speed it up quite a bit by doing cheap custom things.

In the end, I'd go with the STS

awesome....thanks for the advice. Mods for power isnt what im going for anyways. Thats what my firebirds are for. I just want a sweet cruiser with some decent power. 300hp is enough to get me to work and back. Only mods i wanna do is stereo. but now im noticing the headunit in the STS may be hard to replace?

Last edited:
Flyinlow89@hotmail.com said:
awesome....thanks for the advice. Mods for power isnt what im going for anyways. Thats what my firebirds are for. I just want a sweet cruiser with some decent power. 300hp is enough to get me to work and back. Only mods i wanna do is stereo. but now im noticing the headunit in the STS may be hard to replace?

Check out crutchfield.com. Awesome sight, gives you free acc if needed.

I had a 2000 STS as a rental car for about 2 weeks. I was impressed. Very smooth ride, quick considering its FWD, very nice interior, comfortable.

I Love my STS

I pick up an STS, Pearl Red, Roof Wheels Bose ..... I'v had alot of Cars but over all this one has a little of every thing, Power, Hanlding, and lots of goodies.

Even stock its a pretty hot car for an every day Ride. (You'll love the 3D dash too.)

Roy

If you can, try to get something other than a 1998, 2000, or early 2001. I say this because the 1998 was the first model year for the new body style and they had not perfected everything yet (I have one, i would know). The 2000 was the first model year for the compression ratio change for Premium to Regular gas. Apparently they hadn't worked out all the bugs in that one either so some of them tended to have some issues with the engine. The best ones to consider would be the 1999, late 2001, and anything after that. The STS is definitley in a class by itself as far as luxury sports sedans go. Good luck and hope you find a good one. :steering

Flyinlow89@hotmail.com said:

Why would you replace the stereo? 450W Bose system taylored for the acoustics of the car. Mine rocks everything from KORN, to Godsmack, to Disturbed. Drop in the KORN reake of Word-Up if you don't believe me.

2001 STS
White Diamond
25400mi

:C

Found your car yet?

I have a 2001/2 STS Great year/s

I would buy another one tomorrow, I may look for a 2004 sts in a couple of years, I hear they are only availble in Canada (US only 2004 SLS) might be worth something someday? Canada seems to get all the strange half years and extended run models, I don't know why.

I just got my wife a 2004 Chevy Epica LT, as far as I know they don't sell that model in the US, (Like the malibu only loaded) I guess we are the test market.

Good luck let us know what you get.

Members online

Back