Lincoln Vs. Cadillac

You guy's have quite a nice little debate going on in here.

LIncolns have alway's had better technology than Cadillac, and they have not have had as many bad ideas.

Few examples:

That all aluminum engine in the early 80's Cadillac Eldorado that just loved to catch fire when it overheated. I think it was a 6.0 liter V8 with the digital electronic fuel injection at the time.

Changing all their cars to FWD, The Eldorado had FWD, does'nt stand a chance against a Mark VIII.

Lincoln has the upper hand in affordability, and quality, Maintaining a Cadillac is supposedly way more expensive than Maintaining any Lincoln.
:V :dj:

How about this comparison!

1990 Lincoln Continental
Consumer Complaints = 369
Manufacture Recalls = 7

1990 Cadillac Eldorado
Consumer Complaints = 73
Manufacture Recalls = 4

Courtest of www.myCarStats.com

Caddy Wins Again!!!! :invasion: :N

I don't understand you're comparison. :confused:

From a respectable standpoint, the Eldorado in no way is direct competition or should be compared to the Continental, granted the 90 Conti's had problems, but if you must compare, compare it to the DeVille since the DeVille was the Continental's compoetition in 1990, they both were front drive luxury sedans, I don't recall there being a sedan Eldorado, unless you mean the Seville, which at the time could not be compared with the Conti because the Seville was aimed at the Europe market with it's awesome STS package.
An STS would kill a Conti. Not fair comparison.

Bottom line 90 DeVille vs. Continental, would be correct.
Continentals are still cheaper to maintain. I own a 94.

Also the 90 Mark VII vs. Eldorado is the right comparison.
5.0 V8 vs. 4.5/4.9 V8

Also I love Cadillacs, I just like Lincolns better. :wink: Lets keep this as a friendly debate. :Beer

Friendly Indeed! It is just a debate.
Well, If I am correct it was posted that Lincoln produced a higher quality car. So lets compare the quality of the deville to that of the conti. You yourself agree that this is a legitimate comparison.

Quality Comparison of 90 Deville vs. 90 Conti

1990 Lincoln Continental
Consumer Complaints = 369
Manufacture Recalls = 7

1990 Cadillac Deville
Consumer Complaints = 271
Manufacture Recalls = 1

Caddy Wins Again :invasion:

I LOVE IT!!!! :woowoo2:

www.myCarStats.com

P.S. How can you say that a Lincoln is cheaper to maintain. Remeber less quality usually leads to increased expense! But I really focusing on the quality issue at hand!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cadillac may have less recalls, but that just adds to expenses, think about it, all those things not covered under recall, adding expenses on that maintnance bill.

You forgot Mark VII vs. Eldorado

Anyways The Town car has always fared better then it's rival the Fleetwood, especially in the 80's, in 1985 Lincoln sold 120,000 Towncar's, compared to Cadillacs middling 53,130 units.

That's one for the Lincolns. I quote, from Consumer guide history book, "through the 80's, Lincolns boxy Towncar was alway's Lincolns best seller, outselling rival Cadillac Fleetwood for 7 straight years".

Also I challenge the reliability of early 80's Cadillacs to the Early 80's Lincolns.
Fox Body Conti to the Seville, Or the Mark VI to the Eldorado.

:invasion: GO LINCOLN!!! :steering

C'mon if thats not grasping at straws what is. The nineties I will give you but know were going all thw way back to the eighties. Carpe Diem man.

Atleast you can match it togeather better! Come on, at least im fair. If you Cadi guys are not running away you find your self posting crap that doesn't matter. Let me do the side by side posting. Atleast you can trust me to tell the truth even if the Cadi wins one time!

Im the side by side poster!
Who da hell are you!

Lincolnman said:
:questionm Is it true that Henry Ford designed and built the first cadillac :feedback:

Nope, that would be Henry Leland, founder of Cadillac AND Lincoln....

You sure about that DaveSmed? I saw a documentery on Henry Ford and I could have sworn they said he developed the cadillac but was beat out, bought out, voted out or something to cause him to eventually start FOMOCO. Later he developed Lincoln

I agree. If we're going to compare at all lets compare the best that each company has to offer. Why do anythign else?

UNVMYCTS said:
Why would you compare the low end side of two High End named vehicles. Seems clear to me that the caddy does slightly edge out the lincoln on that one. Both are very nice rides indeed.

I'll take one of each please.

Lincolnman said:
You sure about that DaveSmed? I saw a documentery on Henry Ford and I could have sworn they said he developed the cadillac but was beat out, bought out, voted out or something to cause him to eventually start FOMOCO. Later he developed Lincoln
Dave is correct from what I have read. You are right about Ford being "voted out" but not exactly like that. There was a lot of head butting going on, and it finally came that Ford went out on his own after many different things happened.

Codewize, as in the best each company has to offer do you mean from both the past and present? If so here's a few cars that stats should be looked up on. plain and simple which one's better,

The Past:
Lincoln Mark VII vs. Eldorado

Mark VIII vs Eldorado

The Present:
LS V8 vs Seville STS and CTS

04 Town Car vs. 04 Deville

just for starters, if we are talking any years, who wants to fire the first shot? :wink:

:smilies-3

Last edited by a moderator:
Conti94 said:
That all aluminum engine in the early 80's Cadillac Eldorado that just loved to catch fire when it overheated. I think it was a 6.0 liter V8 with the digital electronic fuel injection at the time.

:V :dj:

The 6.0L was all iron, but it was the v4-6-8 which plaggued that engine (it would disable 2 or 4 cylinders depinding of the load, but either the coil just burn and the engine stayed on 8, or it stalled when going into 6 and the owner just disabled the system). I actually have that engine in my car, and it still run great, though the ISC needs to be replace, and it doesn't exist anymore anywhere...

The next generation of Cadillac engine was in aluminium, and the heads just always blowing off... Next they went with the NorthStar and its "normal" oil cossumption...

Yes I own a cadillac, but I'm fully aware that the company has trouble with its engines, even if they say they are normal... It's far from what they did in the past... I wouldn't mind a 500cid under my hood !

Thank you for clearing that up I knew one of those engines caught fire, just coulod'nt remember which one. So I guessed.

I would not mind a 5oocid engine either :iagree: Those are nice. :steering:

Hmmm. I wasn't speaking of any particular year but I guess now that I think about it I would start by comparing the current models since now is when we're having the debate.

I don't really like anything from the 80's. I truly believe that all the car designers of the 80's are now designing clothing.

Conti94 said:
Codewize, as in the best each company has to offer do you mean from both the past and present? If so here's a few cars that stats should be looked up on. plain and simple which one's better,

The Past:

Mark VIII vs Eldorado

The Present:

just for starters, if we are talking any years, who wants to fire the first shot? :wink:

codewize said:
I truly believe that all the car designers of the 80's are now designing clothing.
LOL, I think that's backwards. It seems all the clothes designers jumped on the car designing wagon. Eddie Bauer, Bill Blass, etc. :D

Understood. I was really referring to the poor and tasteless design. Think about it. Have you tried to buy sneakers lately. They all look like crap. Plain lineless style less design like the cars of the 80's :)

Even though I'm all about old school, if we're going to compare technology, we should compare the best that each has to offer. Comparing baseline models is not an accurate way to judge a company.

That's like saying I wouldn't buy a Bose surround sound system because the baseline Audiovox has an extra feature.

JoshMcMadMac said:
LOL, I think that's backwards. It seems all the clothes designers jumped on the car designing wagon. Eddie Bauer, Bill Blass, etc. :D

Conti94 said:
The Past:
Mark VIII vs Eldorado
The Present:

:I

First shot has been fired. ;) See my new Cadillac Vs. Lincoln threads.

I'll bet with all that horse power the new cadi's snowplow front ends could go right through a huge snow bank :Beer

Members online

Back