Lincoln LS leaks coolant in reverse

Roadster

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 for about two years. It had misfire issues when I first got it so I replaced the spark plugs and coils. Runs like a champ now. But I noticed when I backed up the car in reverse there were small drips of coolant on the ground. It looked like it was coming from the reservoir tank. It didn't leak all the time so I would keep it up to the full line. Six months ago driving it home it overheated. After watching Youtube videos I was an expert on LS coolant systems. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, DCCV, upper hose, and the plastic tank. It does not get hot anymore but it still leaks coolant, sometimes, when I put it in reverse and back up. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

it’s 20 years old anything can be broken.

check the valley hose area. it’s pretty rare but it can happen and cause a hard to find leak

We say it over and over and over again. You have to replace all the plastic cooling system parts.

Wow, I checked out the post from SoulSoak. Great job man!!! I was really proud of myself for doing the 'little bit' that I fixed on my LS. Thought I had saved thousands of bucks doing it myself instead of the dealership. Cost me about $300 in parts and a couple weeks in the garage. Guess I have to do it again. I think my problem is that long hose under the intake must have a leak. I'll start buying parts as I can afford them. I am retired and dipping into savings but my wife loves the car and gave me the green light. Thanks for your help guys. I'll try to keep you posted.

Yea i chased leaks for a couple months on mine, ended up doing basically everything but the block and heater cores. Did the aux pump twice cause i got non motorcraft for half price and it failed in less than a week.

It could be the water pump shaft seal. The water pump has a weep hole that allows the coolant to drain out... preventing damage to the bearing. (Which would cause complete water pump failure)

Not too hard to check. You should be able to see a wet area on the block... along the bottom of the water pump.

I guess I'll put this update in the thread I started in December. And I'll say it about myself, what a dummy I was back then.
An expert on LS coolant systems from watching YouTube videos. HA!!! Now I know the correct way to fix it. Thanks everyone on LVC.
I have been shoveling snow from my neighbors sidewalks and saving money to buy MOTORCRAFT parts from my local Lincoln/Mercury dealership.
I was surprised they had everything I wanted from them, right down to the O rings. I've spent about $700 in 3 months.
Not counting the parts I bought last year (not FORD) before I got educated but I'm prepared to replace them again when they fail.
I took a picture of my collection of new MOTOTCRAFT parts to prove I did buy them. Now comes the fun part, installing them.
IMG_0832 (2).JPG

Members online

Back