Lamp Out Message

04LSSport

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My car started chiming at me today as I was coming of the highway. I had no idea why it was doing it at the time. On my way home it did it again and I noticed a message on the dash saying “Lamp Out”. I walked around the car and checked all the exterior lights and they are all working. Any ideas what it could be?

I took my car to the dealer on Friday and asked them to look at why I keep getting the message but can’t see a light out. They told me unless the message is showing right now they can’t do anything. What a pain in the a$$. I was a bit upset to say the least. So on my way to a friend’s house of course it comes on again, but I am to far away from the dealer. Go figure. So as I am leaving my friend’s house the two of us check all the lights again and low and behold the rear passenger side light is out. I know for a fact it was not out before. On my way home I stopped by another Ford dealer to get a new bulb, which they actually gave me for free. Once home I took the lens out, a bit of a pain I must say, and before I put the new bulb in I figure I would turn on the lights and see if the bulb is still out. Of course now it lights up. I put the new one in anyways and put the lens back on. Later on that night I parked in front of a window and checked all the lights again and they where working. Then again today I get the “Lamb Out” message and sure enough the same light is out again. Oh man this is going to drive me nuts. Tomorrow is a stat holiday here so I will have to wait until Tuesday before I can take it back to a dealer. Hopefully now that I know which light it is they will look at it and not just brush me off. :eek: :confused:

I am not sure on the LS but on the Marks the the bulbs are only checked when they are on and in use ... So a brake light would only trigger lamp out when you step on the brakes .. then the message is remembered..could this be the reason you are having trouble finding bulb thats out.. Sorry I didnt finish reading your post till after I posted this , sounds like you have a loose bulb or ground to that bulb ...

Last edited:
This kind of stuff is usually caused by a loose connection or a broken wire. My reverse lights and auto trunk release got erratic when the ground wire for them started to come apart from rubbing on the trunk liner where they went to the trunk hinge. Check the lamp socket terminals are tight where they contact the lamps. If you have a loose connection you'll get flickering lamps and a lot of nagging.

Last edited:
Well I think I found the problem. The harness that is supposed to plug together is not snapping in properly, making it lose. As I drive it must be wiggling lose at times causing the light to go out and the message to come one. This explains why it is intermittent. I will have to go back to a dealer and this time I can tell them what to look at and fix. It is a joke that I have to do my own diagnostic work before taking it in for service. :rolleyes:

I like to drive around with my Fog lights on, that is why I got the message all the time. Thanks for all your ideas.

Members online

Back