Key Will Not Turn in ignition.

jc0528

LVC Member
Reaction score
So, the car has sat for a number of years. Before it got parked the transmission was replaced with a new one to fix the hard shifting problems. It did not fix the car, so it was parked. So, when I got to it, I sent the pcm to a company to fix the hard shifting issue. I got the pcm back in the car and new plugs with coils. Hooked power back to car and the car alarm started going off. Got the alarm cut off and tried to see what the car would do but the key will not even turn in the ignition. It is the original pats key and I have a spare key, and neither will turn in the ignition. The pats light is blinking red on the dash too. Any input would be appreciated.

It's a mechanical issue, not related to the electronics. You might try some lubricant appropriate for lock to see if you can free up the stuck pin(s).

It's a mechanical issue, not related to the electronics. You might try some lubricant appropriate for lock to see if you can free up the stuck pin(s).
That is what I am leaning too as well. I am going to try a few things to see.

Just in case... You did try jiggling the steering wheel back and forth to remove pressure from the lock as you were trying to turn the key?

Just in case... You did try jiggling the steering wheel back and forth to remove pressure from the lock as you were trying to turn the key?
Oh yes. It is definitely not locked.

So I ended up using graphite powder and worked the hell out of it and FINALLY got it free. My next problem is that the pats light is still blinking and when I turn the ignition to run the cluster tach and mph wraps then comes back to 0 like normal, only problem is that it doesn’t show the message center or odometer. I still haven’t reset the pats ( was gonna use the add a key function in forscan) do you think the pats is messing with cluster or do I possibly have a bad cluster. Any help would be appreciated!

It sounds like some modules are not powering up. When the rapidly flashing light settles down, what code(s) is(are) it flashing out?
I would check that all the SSP circuits are powering up, and verify the fuses.

Thanks, I will check that out. I tried to get the codes from the light the other day but it just kept rapidly flashing. I might have not waited long enough. I’ll try again today. What do you mean by SSP circuits?

Are you talking about the SSP fuses in the trunk area?

Are you talking about the SSP fuses in the trunk area?
Those are parts of the SSP circuits, as are the SSP relays, the REM, and the wiring. SSP = Switched System Power.

Those are parts of the SSP circuits, as are the SSP relays, the REM, and the wiring. SSP = Switched System Power.
I gotcha. Yeah I’m gonna check out the relays and all and see if I can find something.

Members online

No members online now.
Back