I've got problems with audio in my 1985 Town Car

LincolnBill

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a problem here and it's really bugging me. I have a 1985 Lincoln Towncar and I had the premium sound system. I've installed no speakers yet, but put in an Alpine Deck. The problem is, I'm getting power to the deck, but I'm not getting any volume from my speakers! On the directions on installation on this site, it mentions you have to bypass the amp (I'm assuming if you don't you do not get volume). Also, I think I found the amp in the trunk, but I can't tell if it is amp or not because it's really strange looking (after all the car is 20 years old). If it is the amp, do I have to buy some sort of kit to then attach to the amp to bypass it, and if so, how exactly do I go about this? Like I said, I have power to my deck but am not getting any volume from the stock speakers in the vehicle (I did not wire any new speakers as of yet).

You're pretty much going to need to run wires to the speakers. The old style audio systems in those cars use a common ground, which is incompatible with modern stereos. Disconnect the factory wiring at the speakers and just run new cables.

Members online

Back