is this normal ?

dfoy50

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 lincoln continental 134000 miles

this evening i drove my roommate to do some running around and we stopped at his grandmothers home for a visit . we were sitting in the garage chatting , my car was in the driveway, the car is a 2000 lin. conti 134000 mi. i dont drive it much . that aside the car had been sitting maybe 15 -20 min. and we heard the air compressor come on , the car was not running , keys in my pocket the car was in the driveway parked for 15 -20 min. now i am use to the compressor coming on when i start the car after its been sitting for a while or if i pop the trunk and load stuff in the car while the engine is running . but this time engine off no one in the car we heard the compressor start watched the rear of the car rise about an inch (?) and it shut off . is this normal ? ive heard talk of sleep mode , from what i gather the computer leaves power on to some things for "x" amount of time them goes to sleep and shuts down after "x" time has elapsed . is this what is happening , or will i wake up one day because something sprung a leak and drained the battery and ruined the compressor from excessive run time . i would rather replace the air springs or find and fix the problem if that be the case .i am aware that the compressor will come on from time to time and that it is "load dependent, and i normally can sence when it comes on , and dont think that it runs allot , there may be a slow air leak as well, it was just suprizing to heard it come on when the car was not on , running , key no where near the car . or do i have other issues here ? thank you all for your response in advance. you are all a great help to others

thank drew:confused:

there might be a slow leak and it's normal for it to air up when the engine is shut off. as a test, try switching off the air suspension at the trunk and see if your rear goes all the way down overnight.

Yes - it can do it 30-60 minutes after the car was last on. After that point though it won't run again until the car is cranked.

thanks for your time guys , it has been a few days and have been meaning to reply , just haven't been feeling too swift , this is how i tested it after a trip out i parked the car running got out popped the truck shut the switch off , shut the car off , locked the door and measured both sides from the ground up to the top of the wheel well . checked it 4 days later . it had dropped about 1/8 th of an inch . so i think its ok although there is a slow leak , next month ill order new air springs i guess . unless you have another suggestion thanks again for your help .

drew

Just changed mine recently. It was long overdue. After 8 hours the car would be down practically all the way to the ground. I would have been thrilled with only 1/8 of an inch in four days.

Members online

No members online now.
Back