B

bigdog1279

I was wondering in my 95 continental
is it better to drive in Drive or OD
i was curious couse it,s an automatic OVerdrive right
i was told that you can drive these in D just dosn,t make any sence to me
and if so
how to you shift a car manualy i don,t understand

In an automatic overdrive transmission, the trans still has 4 gears although there are only 3 positions on the gear selector. When the shifter is in the position with the "D" with a circle around it, that is the combination drive and overdrive trans position. This is the position that is recommended to be used during regular driving. Once you get over a certain speed, depending on how quickly you're accelerating, the trans will automatically shift into the overdrive gear. Once the trans is in overdrive, if you shift the gear selector down one gear (usually a "2") the trans will down shift to the drive gear and will not upshift to overdrive until you put the gear selector in the overdrive position. If you a console shifter (between the front seats), you must push the button on the shifter in to downshift, but only need to push the shifter up to upshift. Be careful not to put it in neutral. If it's a column shifter (on the steering wheel), pull it towards you and down to downshift and push it up to upshift, again being careful not to put the car in neutral.

It won't hurt it, just don't over-rev it or drive at high RPM's for prolonged periods without a good tranny cooler...

Usually for best gas mileage, it's best to drive the car in overdrive and let the trans do the shifting. If you want control when the trans shifts, like during a race, you can start in low or "1" and manually upshift at the desired rpm.

im still a bit confussed
even thoght you say there are 4 gears if i drive it manual then there only like 2 gears
if i drive manuals should i start it in the lowest gear the shift up to drive when it hits a sirten speed then after that put it into OD

Leave the car in overdrive always. Except:
1) When going up a long step grade and the tranny keeps shifting in and out of overdrive
2) Your pulling a trailer or your 300lb mother-in-law...

Just leave it in OD and 'fuget' bout it!"

when going up a steep hill do i go to drive or down to 1

white lincoln said:
Leave the car in overdrive always. Except:
1) When going up a long step grade and the tranny keeps shifting in and out of overdrive
2) Your pulling a trailer or your 300lb mother-in-law...

Just leave it in OD and 'fuget' bout it!"

very true about the pulling a trailer part. 20 years ago my dad literally melted his 4 spd auto towing his 36 foot boat in a GMC Jimmy because he had left it in overdrive. This was driving NC to FL and back but still.

bigdog1279 said:
when going up a steep hill do i go to drive or down to 1

If you ever drove a stick shift, you would instinktivly know when the engine RPM's where dropping to the point that you needed to :q:q:q:q, oops, I mean shift. With an automatic, the only time you should put the car into 2nd or 1st is when:
1) You are going DOWN a steep hill and need to keep the car in a low speed and not have to use the brakes as much\
2) You want to stay in one gear and not let the car shift.
3) The tranny keeps shifting in and out of gears (like a woman that can't make up her mind)

The automatic tranny will drop into low gear when it needs to while going up a steep hill.

Most cars kick in overdrive between 30-40 mph and the car has to shift in and out of it about evertime you hit the pedal. OD is designed for cruising at a constant speed on relativly flat ground above 50 mph. It may save a bit of mpg but will in many cases wear out the od band and that $20 bucks saved in gas can help pay for the tranny rebuild. Also many times leaving 3rd D as the top gear you can stay in 3rd rather than having to press the pedal far enough to accelarate out of od that passing gear 2nd is selected. Do what you want but also remenber that 26 psi was recommended in the explorer and that worked out pretty well huh. Just because a company recommends its product used a certain way doesn't mean its in your best interest. If the recommend using od it will probably not impact the initial owner and may cause a premature transmission failure. Which can result in parts income (lucrative) to the mfg. Changing the transmission fluid though is probably more important than using or not using od in the life of the transmission though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back