Interior lights wont go off!!

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, got a problem with the interior lights. If i have not run the car for a while, once you open the door, the interior lights stay on and will not turn off until you have driven the car like 10 miles! then they behave for a bit. If you just open the door and do not drive the car, they just stay on permantly and flatten the battery. Any ideas? it seems that irregular use of the car causes this to happen, but giving the car a good run solves it! However i cannot drive it at the moment as it is off the road (again!)

Sounds like an interesting electrical problem. This may sound silly, but I am going to suggest to begin trouble shooting with a little acrobatics. Instead of entering the car through the drivers door, get into the car on the passanger side the next time. Then see how the lights respond. If the same thing happens as usual, you have a fault in the wiring within the car. If the lights turn off like they should, you have a fault directly related to your drivers door, most likely the switch in the doorjamb.

Similar Issue on my '85 T-Bird.

I thought it might be the headlamp switch. After repalceing I had the same issue. I wish I had done the test above, it would have saved me an hour and $60. It was the $15 door switch.

Hope this helps.

Current Stable:
00 Stang vert - side pipes, super chip, CAI
98 LSC
96 Haulmark enclosed race trailer (going to eBay soon)
94 E-150 5.8l
65 T-Bird Coupe
65 T-Bird vert
64 Austin Healy 3000

Gone but not forgott'n:
95 Gen I Base
92 Merc Grand Marq -Police package...sigh
90 TC
85 T-Tbird Fila

My Grand Marquis does something similar. I'm thinking it is actually the keypad on the door. Something in the way it interfaces with the auto lamps. When the auto lamps are on it will sit out in the yard and turn its headlights on and off but the domes stay on. Once I turn off the autolamps or drive it they will shut off. But I would troubleshoot as everyone posted above first, they know the Lincoln better than I do. But I'm learning. Good luck.

Frat-man-du mentioned the multi-function switch (the headlamp switch). This is a common part to fail on the VII's, but you should check as I stated above to determine where specifically the fault lies, just as Frat-man-du emphasised.

The auto-lamp feature will not affect the interior lights. It simply controls the headlamps, and in no way is connected to the keypad on the VII's.

Thanks for the advice guys. I first suspected the door switches (although i have not yet tested these -job for the weekend i think!) then i wondered if it would be anything to do with the drivers door key entry system, as this turns th lights on when you lift the handle. Just seems so wierd how the problem clears up after 10 miles of driving! Think ill test the door switches first as suggested.

Jimbob, You made no mention of closing the door... try that.

I'm just kidding.. lol

Isn't there a relay that turn the lights out? Check that too.
Never heard of this problem, before.

Fixed it -im such a dumb ass!! didnt realise that the dash dimmer has an extra position that keeps the interior lights on!! i only figured this after studying the wiring diagrams!!

jimbob said:
Fixed it -im such a dumb ass!! didnt realise that the dash dimmer has an extra position that keeps the interior lights on!! i only figured this after studying the wiring diagrams!!

:D Think of it this way, at least it was a cheap fix! :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back