Interior Door Handle Assembly Replacement.

black_lincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I need some help here.. i have a 2000 ls v8 and the other day i was rushing out of my car and i guess pulled on the door handle wrong way, and it came off in my hand.. :-s the dealer told me the assembly was about 50 bucks but the labour was gonna be about 150 :-s .. over 200 bucks for a door handle is kinda rough. anyone ever changed one of these on the ls before.. if u have please give me an idea of how difficult it is please. STILL CANT BELIEVE IT WAS PLASTIC :-S. thank you.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be that difficult once you get the door panel off...and that's not hard. The only thing I'm not sure about is how it's fastened to the door. Many Ford products use rivets...and big ol' honkers at that!! I actually have a few and an air gun that will install them. Alternatively, if they are rivets, you can remove them and use bolts in most cases.

BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING RIVETS! The Lincoln dealer here in the valley damn near destroyed my wife's door on her Aviator removing a regulator. Grind and drill carefully.

I had the same thing happen 3 or 4 months ago. It's very easy to replace if you have the right tools. It is held on by rivets, 1/4" rivets to be exact. I had the large rivet gun that is needed for them, but I couldn't find the rivets anywhere. I finally had to have my dad send me some (he works in a sheet metal shop). Once you get the rivets and gun all you need to do is:
1. remove the door panel
2. drill out the old rivets and remove the old handle
3. hook the cable into the new handle and rivet it in place
4. put the door panel back on

It should take a half hour at most to do.

JohnnyB said:
I had the same thing happen 3 or 4 months ago. It's very easy to replace if you have the right tools. It is held on by rivets, 1/4" rivets to be exact. I had the large rivet gun that is needed for them, but I couldn't find the rivets anywhere. I finally had to have my dad send me some (he works in a sheet metal shop). Once you get the rivets and gun all you need to do is:
1. remove the door panel
2. drill out the old rivets and remove the old handle
3. hook the cable into the new handle and rivet it in place
4. put the door panel back on

It should take a half hour at most to do.

There you go! Ford can sell you the rivets too...I'm sure that's where I got mine. But you still need the gun to install them.

Members online

Back