Inside the SuperMark.

ONEBADMK8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
When we first picked the car up even though it had barely 3800 miles the engine and engine bay were pretty rough and dirty.

It used to throw belts when decelerating and this produced a lot of belt shreddings and grime on the front of the block, lower intake and surrounding areas which is clearly visible on the left.
This engine was also in the Mach III Concept car (The green One) for a short time when it still had coil pack ignition, so I’m sure it has been "Broken In" (If You Know What I Mean).

We solved the problem of the "belt tossing" by having Lee at ASP Pulleys custom make us a pulley that had ridges on the front and the back, not just the back like the stock Mark VIII pulleys.

This helped contain the alignment but we still had a problem of belt walk at higher rpm's. We noticed while revving the car up from under the hood that the tensioner was moving forward under a load.

I shut the car down and Walt grabs the tensioner from the head and its moving all over the place, loose as a Goose!

So we replace that with a 1999 F-150 5.4 tensioner!!
That’s right. That was the part number 6 years before it was dated.

This did cure the belt woes of the car. Look at the filth on the left!

b4&after1.jpg

Cosmetically the car was sound except for the under hood items I have mentioned and the inner fender wells and strut towers being pretty chewed up.

To remedy this we stripped the engine bay clean, did a VERY THOROUGH and meticulous mask job (4 hours of masking) we then prepped the areas to be painted in a typical fashion and laid 4 nice coats of white. Very correct looking and clean now.

Here are a couple of shots.

fenders1.jpg

fenders2.jpg

Here’s a good shot of the fender wells. Also note the CHEESY screen that was used for the airboxes compared to our stainless steel treatment on the right?

Looked to us like nothing more then home storm screen. It was all separated and nasty looking, the box tops were also all scratched up and yellow looking. We stripped anything and everything off this area and re-did it 100%.

We stripped and prepped the plastic bottoms of the 1992 Ford Aerostar air boxes and repainted them a very correct heat resistant satin black and re-polished the tops and all the piping as well as the blower, valve covers and aftercooler radiator tank.

polished.jpg

We also sent out the 80mm stock mass air housings out to Figga's automotive to be hot tanked. We left them the natural aluminum color, which is sweet! We then added K&N panel Filters in each airbox.

polished2.jpg

We then attacked the cheesy screens and bolts in the airbox tops. We replaced their screening with a heavy gauge stainless steel mesh, we stripped and repainted the black retainer rings that hold the screening in and finally we replaced the black crappy retainer bolts with polished stainless steel allen style button head bolts.

b4&after3.jpg

screen.jpg

screen2.jpg

Here’s a nice clear close-up of the a/c compressor and the power steering pump. Look how close they are! There is barely an 1/8th inch of space between them if that!

Also note the oil lines which reroute the oil to the oil cooler located in the front bumper right next to the oil filter relocation unit. The oil lines pass within a 16th on an inch from the Harmonic Balancer!! The oiling system is 8.5 quarts.

Here’s a nice clear close-up of the a/c compressor and the power steering pump. Look how close they are! There is barely an 1/8th inch of space between them if that! Look how cruddy and dirty the two units are too.

In this shot you can also see the new boss that was affixed to the timing cover to accept the second idler pulley which is a Powerstroke diesel part number.

pullies.jpg

Here’s another shot of this area during the "Clean up".
Remember we replaced EVERY single under hood bolt with stainless steel Allen headed versions along with stainless steel washers.

apart3.jpg

Last edited:
We also unwrapped and re-loomed EVERY piece of wire under the hood!!
With all the added wiring for the 16 (sixteen) 24 pound injectors and twin mass air units as well as twin Thunderbird Supercoupe throttle bodies this was quite a task for sure! Also we replaced ALL the hose clamps with stainless steel versions.

Also note in this shot you can see the handmade mandrel bent headers. This is also the FIRST ever Mark VIII to have headers. The coil pack covers in this pic are black, we removed them and polished these to mirror chrome.

apart2.jpg

apart1.jpg

you should sue mazda, that car= zoom zoom zoom!

just for :q:q:q:qs and giggles, what do you think it would cost to either convert a stock mark motor to make it like that, or make one up outside and drop it in?

MrWilson said:
you should sue mazda, that car= zoom zoom zoom!

just for :q:q:q:qs and giggles, what do you think it would cost to either convert a stock mark motor to make it like that, or make one up outside and drop it in?

More money then what its worth. 3 eec's two of everything else, too much!! LOL!

Yeah, I know you're not that far from me. Once I get the Galactica running again, I'll take a cruise up there. Perhaps next month.

I just want to hear it wheeze!!!

Very nice post, great details, and its fascinating to learn about all the great details you went through to get it not only functional, but looking the part of....

"look, down the track...its a pro-stocker.....its a Door slammer...its...its... SUPER MARK DA-DA-DUMMMMM!

BlackIceLSC said:
I just want to hear it wheeze!!!

Very nice post, great details, and its fascinating to learn about all the great details you went through to get it not only functional, but looking the part of....

"look, down the track...its a pro-stocker.....its a Door slammer...its...its... SUPER MARK DA-DA-DUMMMMM!

Hear and see her wheeze

You guys have to :
see, hear,smell and feel that car in person.
The pix and vid do not do it the justice it deserves !!
My hat is off to Geno and Walt !
In the vid he wasn't even really gettin on it.
Man I LOVE THAT FREAKING CAR !!!!!

squirell said:
You guys have to :
see, hear,smell and feel that car in person.
The pix and vid do not do it the justice it deserves !!
My hat is off to Geno and Walt !
In the vid he wasn't even really gettin on it.
Man I LOVE THAT FREAKING CAR !!!!!

Yes Matt, yo were one of the lucky ones that got to drive in it. Your right, that shot was a tad over 1/2 throttle.

Ah, so that is the secret of your success. You use that car to develop your parts, the same way that Area 51 uses that alien ship they captured to develop all of this high tech stuff. ;)

I wonder if your average Cobra owner realizes just how much of their development they owe to the Lincoln Mark VIII.

Tell me you don't leave that out in the drive way?? it needs it own room in the house!

I would guess We wont be seeing you and it on the Show 'Pinks' any time soon

Mmmm Bling Bling...now Thats Eye Candy !!!!

Would Love To Do Some Like That For Mine...lil By Lil Of Course...care To Tell How Much My Friend?...heheheh

Dominus said:
Ah, so that is the secret of your success. You use that car to develop your parts, the same way that Area 51 uses that alien ship they captured to develop all of this high tech stuff. ;)

I wonder if your average Cobra owner realizes just how much of their development they owe to the Lincoln Mark VIII.

SPEAKIN OF COBRA..I HAVE A 97 SVT SITT'N IN MY GARGAGEWITH ONLY 65K WHICH I SHARE WITH HUBBY....HMM HE ALREADY DID ALIL GEAR CHANGE(373'S)LAST SPRING..BUT OTHER THAN THAT SHE'S ALL STOCK...WE HAVE THE SAME RIMS & RUBBERZ,BY SPRING HE WANNA PLAY WITH HER SOME MORE...LIKE ID LIKE TO DO WITH MY LSC....

Geno, how many miles are on it now? That engine alone must be worth 10-15k...

buddylee said:
Tell me you don't leave that out in the drive way?? it needs it own room in the house!

I would guess We wont be seeing you and it on the Show 'Pinks' any time soon

No way! This car is stored at Walt's house in a ionized and humidity controlled carpeted garage.

95LSC32V said:
Geno, how many miles are on it now? That engine alone must be worth 10-15k...

Its a tick over 5000 miles now. That car cost Ford a tick over 100k to build and develop in 1993.

Members online

Back