Ignition Cylinder Replacement?

klutch

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The Ignition Cylinder on my towncar seems to be going out. I can start it and with it started pull the key out and also the chrome cover seems to of broke cause it just spins and is a pain to get the key in. If I am just confusing you guys I can post a picture. I want to replace it or get it fixes any suggestions?

Replace it they don't cost much and they are easy to replace , i had to do this to my Town Car.

It's actually much cheaper to buy it at Autozone or Checkers... I replaced mine a year ago after my car TC was stolen and I didn;t want to pay $400 to have someone else do it... You can buy the entire assembly from Checkers I know for sure, it's very easy to do... There is a small hole directly under the ignition cylinder that needs to be accesssed by a toothpick or small long object... pus it in there and you will feel a small piece of metal retract... One that is retracted, you can pull the entire ignition lock assembly out in one piece.... Congrats! you just now learned how to steal every 90-97 TC without breaking the assemby! Anyway, following the directions of the new lock cylinder, you re-install the new lock igntion cylinder back in to the hole and voila, you're done!

But your key doesn't work with the new lock? A trick to this is to replace the new ignition lock cylinder innards with your existing lock cylinder... When you buy the new assembly from Checkers, there are two pieces to the assembly... Of course it comes "assembled" there is one cylinder(part where the key slides into) that fites inside the outer "shell" it's kind of like a cork and a wine bottle... The cork is the inner igintion cylinder that slides into the wine bottle which is the housing of the igintion cylinder... And that entire assembly fits into the upper housing assembly... If you need pics, let me know and I can get you some...

Yes a picture would be helpfull. But also will my existing inners work? because I can start the car up and take the key out and sometimes it will turn over with no key in it at all doesnt that mean the inners are wore?

Be sure and disconnect the battery, then turn the key to the run position before you pull out the old cylinder. The new cylinder comes set from the factory at the run position. When you slide it back in all the way you turn it to off and that sets the cylinder in place so it won't come back out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back