Huge favor to ask...

Then it's settled. That is awesome news! Just need to yank out the driveshaft and send it out for modification, and pick up my 4.30's...

Then it's settled. That is awesome news! Just need to yank out the driveshaft and send it out for modification, and pick up my 4.30's...

Depending on your timing, I may have my new shaft done. I could send you mine to get you up and running and any final tweaks. Then you can have a shaft done.

Again there are 2 designs. The way I want to go will require accurate measurements between the flange face and the center bearing bolts center line. It will not have room for error in the back half beside the fact the center bearing does have slotted mounting holes.

Anyway my shaft now has the slide yoke at the diff end so its flexable that way. After your up and running you could then get one done like my new one, that is if it works better.

Since I am going to be replacing my rear-end I would like to go ahead and use 4:10's. From my understanding, it looks like I need to go with an 8.8" since the tallest gear for the 8.0" is 3.5x.

So the three things I need to make this happen are:
8.8" rear-end with 4:10's
Custom drive shaft
Custom bracket.

02LSE... Do you have pictures or measurements of the modified drive shaft? I am heavily considering this mod for my 2000 LS

Since I am going to be replacing my rear-end I would like to go ahead and use 4:10's. From my understanding, it looks like I need to go with an 8.8" since the tallest gear for the 8.0" is 3.5x.

So the three things I need to make this happen are:
8.8" rear-end with 4:10's
Custom drive shaft
Custom bracket.

02LSE... Do you have pictures or measurements of the modified drive shaft? I am heavily considering this mod for my 2000 LS

There are pictures in the 8.8 swap thread I did. It had to be roughly 5/8" longer, but since a slide yoke was used it was just a rough. They played it real safe on mine and my slide is pretty far out, one of the reasons I'd like to redo. The other reason is I would like to go with the driveshaft that came out of my car compared to the used one I got because of the design difference. This will require a accurate measurement cause no slide will be used my the yoke.

The shaft I got to modify has a locking center. It has a splined yoke but it is locked by a nut eliminating slide. With this style a slide yoke would need to be used at the rear for some give as the car flexes stuff moves bounces under load, gears slammin, etc.

The driveshaft that came out of my 02 car does not have a locking nut in the middle, it is allowed to move in and out. I would like to go this route and just put the 8.8 flange solid on the shaft at the rear, u-jointed of course. It will weigh less, while only a little and to me makes more sense. I believe the locking middles were early models and vibration prone. If you seen it it looks and locks together kinda lame.

What you definately don't want is to have a free sliding middle and a slide at the back. The rear shaft could walk back and forth and likely under acceleration. This would vibe very likely.

What I have works fine I just wasn't real happy with how far the slide is out and I do beleive the other design will be better.

Modification

DSmod2.jpg

hahahaha guibo thats a funny word

for clarification to newbs and such sake, is that a mark viii shaft with LS adapter shown or is that a mark viii adapter on an ls shaft?

and pete we already talked about gears you sissy!!!!!!!!

hahahaha guibo thats a funny word

for clarification to newbs and such sake, is that a mark viii shaft with LS adapter shown or is that a mark viii adapter on an ls shaft?

and pete we already talked about gears you sissy!!!!!!!!

Thats whats been under my car getting the job done for almost 20k. Its a bone yard LS shaft modified to the 8.8 flange. But as stated above there are 2 different shafts and this might not be the best way for both and I personally want to do mine another way.

I wouldn't call it a MarkVIII flange as the 8.8 is very Ford common.

Wow I would never do a shaft like that... I'd get a proper one piece AL shaft done...

And I would never fill my rockers with great stuff:rolleyes:

Would ya??? I would love too. Let me pull the exhaust and full length heat shield under the car to show ya the narrow little tunnel there is under there. Add the adapter that would be needed to be made for the front to adapt the 3 prong thingy........$$ couldn't even get a firm price. Over 1000 I think they said 1200 or more and the custom adapter would take 8-10 weeks or something like that. They didn't even want to do it. Now that the swap is 20k tested maybe they would get more involved.

The power level its at the two piece is good enough.

Also the 5N trans is rather short. The driveshaft is around 60" long, a aluminum 4" would be to small according to DSS.

How long is the VIIIs shaft they get away with 4"??

It has been my intention to re-do the trans and rear end to make it possible to use a pair of custom driveshafts with a pillow-block support in the middle. This is because I have it in mind to use a quick-change diff to facilitate my land-speed efforts. This is not a well-planned project; it's simply the result of idle musing. I would very much appreciate any comments from those of you who have already delved into this area. Thanx!!!
Ken Sheffer

Members online

Back