How to Auto-Unlock All Doors when Driver's Door Opens?

ejfiii

New LVC Member
Reaction score
'03 Ultimate with 60k miles. Third transmission (under extended warranty) last week and my biggest complaint is the ridiculous operation of the door locks. Every car I have ever owned unlocks all the doors automatically when the driver door opens, but not this one.

I'm not talking about walking up to the car (just double hit the unlock on the fob), I'm talking when you are in the car. Turn it off, remove the key, open the door and all other doors should unlock - they just should. What a pain the ass to get out of the car, have your keys in the pocket or in the car somewhere and walk around to the rear passenger door and find it still locked. I have tried to train myself to hit the unlock button as I open the door, and I do hit it about 50% of the time. But those other 50% are really killing me.

Dealer says no way to reprogram the system to activate this feature. I just can't believe that a luxury car has no way of doing this.

Can anyone prove this dealer wrong and cure me of my ill?

Thanks very much in advance.

I could be wrong, but I think that the deal where you put it in park and it unlocks the doors is a GM thing. I have owned 4 Ford products and none of them did it. However I think it is kind of a safety issue. Think about it, if you pull up to a parking spot and throw it in park anyone could hop into the car and pull a gun on you. Instead, Ford has it so the door unlocks when you pull tha handle from the inside. I really do think it is a safety thing, but I might be wrong.

It is a pain when you have rear passengers that can't get out when you stop and get ready to exit. I like that they lock auto, but it would be nice to have that feature, but I do think the saftey is more important.

Instead, Ford has it so the door unlocks when you pull tha handle from the inside.

Thats fine and dandy but I am talking about something different. I can't believe this doesn't bother others out there.

I want all the doors to unlock when I open my drivers door. Imagine this:

You're moving your truck around the driveway and hop out to help your kid in the back. Well, if you went faster than 5mph (or whatever) in the driveway it locked all the doors. So you hop out and run around to the other side to help your kid in the back and lookie there, the doors are all locked. So run back around and open your drivers door and hit unlock and then run around again to help your kid. All this while the car is freakin' running.

This happens to me countless times a day and everytime I swear I am selling it on the spot. I have owned countless cars over the past 10 years and I can't remember one ever NOT unlocking all the doors when the drivers door is openend.

Ridiculous.

If that is the worst problem you have with your Navigator consider yourself lucky, mine spent 73 days in the shop total.

Some people are just never happy. :lol:

Go to a stereo shop, and have them rig up a relay that kicks in when you put the truck in park. Then have them wire up that relay to your door unlock button.

That should give you your Unlock function when you put the truck in park.

I'm not talking about walking up to the car (just double hit the unlock on the fob), I'm talking when you are in the car. Turn it off, remove the key, open the door and all other doors should unlock - they just should. What a pain the ass to get out of the car, have your keys in the pocket or in the car somewhere and walk around to the rear passenger door and find it still locked. I have tried to train myself to hit the unlock button as I open the door, and I do hit it about 50% of the time. But those other 50% are really killing me.

Same here, except I have a 2000 LS. It is seriously the worst when you get to that passenger side door :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang just to find it locked!!!!

If that is the worst problem you have with your Navigator consider yourself lucky, mine spent 73 days in the shop total.

If you had read my original post you would see that I am on my third transmission in 60k miles. Hardly lucky. Oh but the dealer did pick up the ford compact rental car all three times.

frogman said:
Some people are just never happy.

Go to a stereo shop, and have them rig up a relay that kicks in when you put the truck in park. Then have them wire up that relay to your door unlock button.

That should give you your Unlock function when you put the truck in park.

I appreciate the recommendation, but that is hardly a solution. I guess since there are no recommendations on how to reprogram the entry system or anything like that I am stuck. You guys are better then me if this doesn't bother you like it does me.

eastcoast27959 said:
Same here, except I have a 2000 LS. It is seriously the worst when you get to that passenger side door just to find it locked!!!!

I guess someone else does get it.

Oh, I get it....a dumb thing by Lincoln/Ford and a pain in the butt to live with...I disabled my auto locks and live with it that way.

It's a menu choice on your dash info screen...toggle thru the various items and just switch them to disabled or off .

Ed

Members online

No members online now.
Back