How do you clear a permanent DTC after repair

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
How do you clear a permanent DTC code after replacing the parts? Or is driving the only way to clear this out?

What is a "permanent DTC?"

Some problems can instantly set a DTC. Those won't clear till the problem is resolved. I've never heard of a permanent DTC. They are all volatile, AFAIK.

What is a "permanent DTC?"

Some problems can instantly set a DTC. Those won't clear till the problem is resolved. I've never heard of a permanent DTC. They are all volatile, AFAIK.

The car has no codes showing if I use anything like forscan, bluedriver etc. However, if I read the car with Ford IDS I see them still even though they have been cleared. It gets more confusing the newer the car is that much I will say. Pretty sure I fixed the issue as the light would come right back on before I changed the part even if I had cleared it out. Now that we have changed the part the CEL never comes back on but I just see that data in Ford IDS showing permanent codes.

I saw this on google about it.
Permanent DTCs aren't cleared in the usual way, with a scan tool or in some cases by disconnecting the battery. ... Permanent DTCs can only be cleared by proving to the computer that the problem has been fixed and the condition is not returning.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back