How do I remove multifunction switch (on steering column) for 02 Continental?

passingpower

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance. Everything that the multifunction switch controls (head lights, windshield washer, etc.) works except my hazard lights. I believe the switch is going out. I wanted to remove the switch, but I don't know the correct steps for removal. Am I required to removed air bag and steering wheel to get to switch??? I consulted my factory Lincoln Continental Service manual. But I could not find any directions in it for multifunction switch removal. Thanks again.

Wow. No help from my fellow 1998-2002 Continental owners lol. No problem. I just took a great look at the cover around the steering column and just stuck a Phillips screw driver deep in one of the four holes. To my surprise there was a Phillips screw in there. Perfect! Minute or two later, I just removed, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and reinstalled multifunction switch, with no problems. Cleaned with a wet wipe that I use to wash my hands when I'm on the go. Nothing special. There were three Phillips screws to get to multifunction switch. Two hex screws to remove it and about 5 or 6 small hex screws to disassemble it. Rather easy job if you got the right tools for removal. Particularly hex screw bits/tools. Also, there is no such as switch 'going out.' There are no electrical mechanics inside it but contacts. Plus the three harnesses that connects for windshield washer, hazard lights, and signal lights, to the pins. Two harnesses on outside of switch and one internally. Switch is always repairable. If yours doesn't work properly, it either needs to be cleaned internally, you have a blown fuse, one of the pins or contacts are bent/broken, or you have a wire short. No need to replace multifunction switch with a $100 new one. Just repair it. My problem was a large mount of dust/dirt that collected on the hazard button contacts. Easy fix. Mileage on my car is 48k and I'm pretty sure it's the same switch that came with car when car was brand new. I was experiencing the hazard lights problem at about 44k. Hope this info. helps the next person that needs help with multifunction switch for 1998-2002 Lincoln Continental but don't want to spend an arm and a leg at the stealeship because they don't have to do so and they don't need to but a new one. Note: Mechanics may be same for 1995-1997 bodystyle as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back