How can I remove factory radio from 04 Navigator?

wired

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an 04 Navigator (ultimate) and I love it (been an Expedition owner for years). My goal is to install a Car PC with NAV, Sirius SAT, WiFi, DVD, upgraded amp/speakers etc. I've searched but cannot find directions on how to remove the factory radio. Can someone please provide some direction? Thanks.

Cant say on 04 but all of my 91 through 00 Fords, Lincolns and Mercurys need a little 'U" shaped tool on each side ( $5.00) any most auto parts Stores. push the 4 holes at the same time and slightly push in-toward to wards the center and pull out.

I think 01-06 might not use the little holes and require somne kind of anti theft code or tool. Hopefully the LS or N'gators gang can chime in.

Here is the text from the 2003 Navigator Workshop manual.
Should be the same for 2004.
The Pin-typ retainer is in the center console

Audio Unit
Removal and Installation

Vehicles with column shift

Remove the instrument cluster finish panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 .
Vehicles with floor shift

Remove the instrument cluster center finish panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 .
All vehicles

Remove the bolts.

NOTE: Standard audio is shown, others are similar

Disconnect the audio unit antenna lead-in cable and the audio unit electrical connectors.

To install, reverse the removal procedure

THIS IS THE REFERENCED SECTION 501-12......

Instrument Cluster Center Finish Panel
Removal and Installation

Apply the parking brake and move the shift lever to NEUTRAL.
Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
Remove the pin-type retainer and the window control switch panel.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Position the shift indicator bezel aside.

Remove the screws and the center console finish panel.

Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
Remove the screws.
Pull out on the panel under the air vents to disengage the clips.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be simpler but it still doesn't look like it will take very long to complete.

If its like tthe aviator, the whole cover comes off above the radio. There will be a panel on the top of the dash towards the winshield, that you'll have to pop out (may have two screws visible from the top) then 4 screws hold on the assembly. Once they are removed, the whole center upper section comes out. Its a cake walk from there:cool:

Right...piece of cake on the Aviator. Remove the panel on the dash right in front of the radio cover assy. It pops out. Use a screwdriver and carefully pry it up. Next pull the two screws that are under that panel for the radio cover. Then with some sort of hook tool, pull the radio cover towards the rear of the car. It pops out. Now everything is exposed. The radio is held by three screws along the bottom of the radio under the face. You may have to pop out the clock/vent assy for access. It too just pops out with a hook tool. You can remove the radio in less than 5 minutes. Seriously...

lol

2001LS8Sport said:
Right...piece of cake on the Aviator. Remove the panel on the dash right in front of the radio cover assy. It pops out. Use a screwdriver and carefully pry it up. Next pull the two screws that are under that panel for the radio cover. Then with some sort of hook tool, pull the radio cover towards the rear of the car. It pops out. Now everything is exposed. The radio is held by three screws along the bottom of the radio under the face. You may have to pop out the clock/vent assy for access. It too just pops out with a hook tool. You can remove the radio in less than 5 minutes. Seriously...

this may help to remove the console and bezel from around the radio...once that is done..just unscrew the radio .the screws should be exposed and easy to see.

http://www.bracketron.com/xmain/manuals/LIN-201-03.pdf

I was able to pull the factory unit out! Had to start from the center console/storage area between the driver and passenger seats.

Members online

No members online now.
Back