High mount stoplight not working

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha guys. I have this problem that was found on annual inspection and I need to get it fix before I can get certified. What a work for piece of sticker...............

Anyway, I just found that my high mount stoplight not working. It's raining outside, so I haven't test any electrical connection in the car, but I did take out the stoplight and it's working. I also checked the fuse in the trunk (#8 5A fuse) and it's good. I checked the fuse using multimeter with continuity check and sound good (I got the beep). As I mentioned before, I haven't check the connector yet. So I'm not sure I'm getting the voltage there, but let's say it's not there. What could be wrong? BTW, the other stoplight are working just fine. Just the high mounted stoplight is not working.

As soon as the rain clears up and I get a second person to step on the brake, I'll check the connector but I just want to get ready for the repair. I'm also looking at the electrical book I have for the car (2004 LS. And yes, it's actual book with green cover) and checking the diagram. I'm just hoping it's a simple fix.

With all these problem I'm having in the last year or so, my neighbor is selling his 2005 Crown Vic police interceptor which beginning to look good each and everyday I pass by.

All you have left is the wiring, connectors, and the REM.

Thanks Joe.

Yeah, was looking at electrical book and repair manual, came down to REM. I have voltage at the light connector, so need to go to step (?) N-5. Gonna tackle it tomorrow.

OK. Just finished with my diagnostic and it happens to be REM. Jumped online and look for replacement. There's plenty out there, but just how often does these fail? Looks like I can't get OEM anymore, so just want to make sure if it's safe to pick up the used unit. Yes, I know it's a electronic component so anything goes, but just want to find out the failure rate of this parts.

Anybody had similar problem?

The part's about 20 years old now. It could be that failures are starting due to age, or it could be that they are good for 40 years.

Thanks Joe. I've looked around but looks like my only choice, for now, is used evilbay unit. Guess I need to take a chance and see if it works. BTW, does the unit need re-programing? Or does it learn on itself?

Last edited:
Thanks Joe. I've looked around but looks like my only choice, for now, is used evilbay unit. Guess I need to take a chance and see if it works. BTW, does the unit need re-programing? Or does it learn on itself?
Neither. Nothing to learn and no programming needed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back