help i need it 95 lincoln con

guy44

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey i try to fix my car and im confused the car ran good for a few months now the thing jerks when its cold and surges then when it warms up it just feels like its missing i have checked the spark plugs gap the twice new spark plug wires and plugs what do i do plus the check engine lights came on again could it be the fuel injectors im lost???

thanks
guy

What's the difference between a jerk and surge?

Start over, because I don't understand the problem.
You have a 1995 Lincoln Continental.
The car is running erratically, and the nature of the problem is different depending upon the temperature of the vehicle?

First, question-
Have you changed the fuel filter?
I would start there.

Last edited:
What's the difference between a jerk and surge? --$5.

Start over, because I don't understand the problem.
You have a 1995 Lincoln Continental.
The car is running erratically, and the nature of the problem is different depending upon the temperature of the vehicle?

First, question-
Have you changed the fuel filter?
I would start there.

sorry im just frustrated with the car when you start it i is very jerky then when it get at running tempture it seems to level out a little but sometimes starts to jerk also!

I will change the fuel filter tommorow

always pull the codes when you have a check engine light. it may not tell you what is wrong, but will tell you what the computer is biatching about.

take care of check engine light issues 1st, many times once thats fixed, drivability problems go away!

when you changed your plugs and wires, was there any oil on the plug boots?? if so, you probably need new valve cover gaskets (btw, oily plug boots can cause check engine lights too). also, what plugs did you put in?? these engines can be (but not always) very sensitive to the plug type. you might want to change to a different type. I have heard that some engines hate platinum plugs, but love copper, and I have heard the opposite also.

always pull the codes when you have a check engine light. it may not tell you what is wrong, but will tell you what the computer is biatching about.

take care of check engine light issues 1st, many times once thats fixed, drivability problems go away!

when you changed your plugs and wires, was there any oil on the plug boots?? if so, you probably need new valve cover gaskets (btw, oily plug boots can cause check engine lights too). also, what plugs did you put in?? these engines can be (but not always) very sensitive to the plug type. you might want to change to a different type. I have heard that some engines hate platinum plugs, but love copper, and I have heard the opposite also.

put in motorcraft platniums and yes i did finds so oilbut not on all the plugs

okay new fuel filter installed new plugs wires car still runs bad very jerky

ran codes lean bank 1 misfire on 3????

I don't know the common leak points on a continental....

I would use a can of starting fluid to find it...

Just let it idle and starting spraying vacuum lines and any place it can leak with the starting fluid, if you hear the idles raise up you have found you leak.

Are you in Roseville MN?

okay new fuel filter installed new plugs wires car still runs bad very jerky

ran codes lean bank 1 misfire on 3????

a miss fire on only 1 cylinder is not gonna be a vacuum leak, that would effect all.

miss fire on one cylinder is usually plug, coil pack, or wires on the 4.6's. if there is oil on the boot for the plug, it causes the high voltage from the spark to be routed to the engine block thru the oil, instead of the plug, and you loose spark on that cylinder.

also, the 4.6's are known to leak oil on the valve cover gaskets (specifically the o-ring or gasket that seals the tunnel the plug goes in).

when you changed plugs and wires, you didn't just pull the wires, then the plugs without cleaning the dirt/crud from the hole BEFORE removing the plug Ihope. use a shop vac or compressed air to suck/blow the crud out before removing the plugs, as the dirt that collects there is very detrimental to the health of the engine, if and when it falls into the cylinder.

What about when the car is idling? Does the car act up then? or only when driving? Does it stall at all? If so when?

But a bank lean code can be a vacuum leak...

yup. I forgot to mention that I agree with a vacuum leak could be the cause of a lean condition.

about the only way a vacuum leak can cause a localized miss-fire would be if its leaking right at the intake port on the head (bad manifold gasket, or crack). otherwise it would just cause an overall lean condition if it was leaking somewhere up closer to the throttle body.

now, not to over analyze this problem, but if the #3 injector wasn't firing, we would get no fuel in that cylinder, and it would act like an air pump (pushing out just warmed up air on the exhaust stroke). that could also cause a lean indication on that bank (I cant remember if #3 is on bank 1 or not).

thanks for all the info the car idles rough all the time replace plugs wires fuel filter still runs ruff will try some of the suggestion on vac leak see it that helps
will report back

guy

I don't know the common leak points on a continental....

I would use a can of starting fluid to find it...

Just let it idle and starting spraying vacuum lines and any place it can leak with the starting fluid, if you hear the idles raise up you have found you leak.

Are you in Roseville MN?

thanks will try i live in california:)

okay i checked the ignition coil i bought a new one car ran the same rough idle and all vacum lines seem good both me and my son are stump on this oh by the way the check engine light has not come back on yet!!!

still idles like a tank

guy44

How is the PCV assembly? Does it look cracked or anything?

I'm actually going through a similar ordeal that's caused by mt PCV. This is leading my O2 sensors to run either rich or lean (I forget what way it's going)

Just got back from the Ford dealer where I had to buy it and $10 isn't too bad as a starting point in my book.

Sounds like IAC -Idle Air control - but when mine got dirty and I replaced it I got a code that told me IAC was bad. The IAC carbons up and can be cleaned and replaced with a new gasket. Your IAC may be stuck 'open' causing lean condition.
Brad.

Members online

No members online now.
Back