heater issues for my 91 eldorado

bobs 91 eldorado

LVC Member
Reaction score
hopefully someone on this board can give me some feedback or suggestions on trouble shooting my heater...

i swapped out the old thermostat for new one.

the blower works fine,but it only blows ambient air..

no air is coming out of any of the vents{except the vent located below the windshield}.

i used the onboard computer and no error codes concerning anything associated wth the heater has come up.

although i,m inclined to swap out the heater core{of which i would again need help from the people on this board to be successful} my thoughts are it,s an electrical problem?? something not giving a signal to open the heat vents maybe?

possibly the ambient air sensor?

i have hot water running through the lines.should there be hot water running through the resovoir{from the heater core} back into the radiator?

again,any help would be appreciated,as i NEED to get this fixed as it is getting pretty darn cold here and my elderly mom will be needing to use this vehicle soon.

thanks for all the help..

bob

Check the connection between the main vent and the duct work. make sure the vent release is seated properly.

here would that be located..?

is it located up against the firewall in the engine bay?{if i was looking at the engine from the front of the car}.

thanks

it is going to be where your duct connects to the blower motor. That connection may be under the dash. What happens is the duct has gate which is opened by linkage from the motor. I looks something like a squared s -i_ . Also make sure that you have at least 25mm of clearance, about an inch, between the blower motor and your spark plug cables. If they are touching or within an inch of each other, it could effect performance of the blower motor. You can also check the AC fan resistor pack. If that is bad, nothing will blow through your vents. If you need anything else let me know. I will be happy to copy pages from my Chilton repair book and send to you if needed. The heater core dosent look like too tough of a job, at least in the book. Keep me posted as I am gald to help. Hey, just want to do my part to help keep mom warm this winter! :)

If the car isn't loosing any coolant couldn't it be possible that the cable that operates the heating flow to the vents is broken and the heat just isn't flowing through to its normal path? By the way do you actually find the chilton manual to be any good?

lol. I guess you are right about chilton, it does make an excellent door stop. When you were working on the heater, did you remove any of the ducts? If you did then there is the possibility that this linkage did not reset properly. If not, I would check that AC resistor pack. I talked to a couple of guys who said that if this is bad, noting flows through the vents on the dash and only the vent at the windshield will work. I wish I lived closer, I would drop by and get my hands dirty with you. Keep me posted, I am hooked now and want to see this thing fixed. I have a 90 eldo and I will check my blower and vent tomorrow. I will let you know if I see anything that may help. In the mean time, get mom a blanket! It is getting cold here in Arizona too. Last noght it got down to 32 at my place. :headbang:

thanks Cave Creek...

I have been fighting the flu this week,so no,i have not been able to work on the car...

i have taken several heater core,s out of mark 7 lincolns..but my understanding is the heater core is located behind the glove compartment..

would this "gate" you,re talking about be in that vicinity or lower to the floor?

also..would you have to remove all the door trim,gage and cluster trim,shifer and drop the steering wheel in order to drop the dash away from the firewall in order to effect repairs?

p.s.. i will be flying to tempe on the 22nd to "fetch" mom and drive her up here to idaho!

p.s.s.. if the car leaks a small amount of coolant from the drivers side rear of the engine is it a freeze plug? as i do not see any hose that leads down there..

You are correct, the heater core is behind the glove box. The "gate" is located where the duct and the blower meet. If the duct work has not been touched, don't mess with it as this is not the problem. that linkage piece can only get screwed up if the duct is removed from the blower. That AC fan resistor pack is probably the problem. The 2 guys I spoke to said that if that is not working, nothing will blow through the vents.

Don't know if that is a freeze plug causing the coolant leak. I will ask around

Hope you are feeling better with your flu. My kids have it and I am hopping it passes me by. What a small world with your mom in Tempe. That is about 30 minutes south of me. I will be in town on the 22nd, I think, and if you need a ride from the airport or anything let me know.

i appreciate all your help...

can you pull an a/c resistor pack from another cadillac and use it as a replacement?

i have a junyard here in the area that has an 88 deville in their yard..

how accessable is this a/c resistor pack? is it near or around the heater core?

i,m going to imagine all the ductwork is below the heatercore underneath the dash..?

well.. i,m basically flying into town,loading a van with all my mom,s stuff then heading out that night,.. i want to arrive in idaho before christmas eve,so i don,t know if i will be able to meet you,but thanks for the offer,that,s very kind of you..

take care..

bob

Bob:

What a wealth of information out there for BMW and Nissan. You can find several vendors who carry the 'Blower Resistor' Cost is 4 bucks. Again, this is for BMW and Nissan vehicles mot GM. :rolleyes: The resistor, from what i read today is part of the vent relay switch, located on the top of the blower housing or to the left and straight up of the blower fan. It is unbelievable that delco,napa and rock autp do not mention thie resister in their online catologs. My advice is to call the delaer and talk to the parts guys. They'll order it for you as well as give you some installation tips. If you do not have a Cadillac dealer close by, I'd be happy to call the dealer in Scottsdale for you.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.
Back