Heater Core cheap fix

rustic302

LVC Member
Reaction score
This may help some people (and make others laugh)

Been driving all summer with heater core bypassed but I had to do the dreaded heater core fix before Christmas. Took the dash off, console out etc, but got stuck with the AC lines going through the firewall.

As I was going to delete the aircon anyway, I (had) it evacuated and hacksawed the lines - leaving an inch or so coming out the firewall - so that the heater box could be pulled loose.

Now I managed to free the heater core but it was too damaged to repair and I couldn't get a replacement until after xmas which would mean putting dash back and taking off again!

Anybody guess where I'm going with this? Yeah - Connect those heater core hoses onto the old AC lines! Done this 2 weeks ago and so far no problems.

This may be a temporary fix for someone who has deleted AC and doesn't want to remove dash.

Nice idea.

I was beginning to think I had the only Mark VII in the UK, do you know of any more?

We should stick together for the sake of knowledge...

I'd imagine the evap wasnt designed to be used as a heatercore, but only time will tell.

Why did you pull the dash to change the heatercore without having a replacement unit? :p

LuxurySportCoupe said:
I'd imagine the evap wasnt designed to be used as a heatercore, but only time will tell.

Why did you pull the dash to change the heatercore without having a replacement unit? :p

My Dad works on classic cars since I was an ankle-biter. So I generally listen to his advice - he said take out the heater core to have a look as it could be repairable with a bit of welding/plumbing. It is (only need to braze a small whole at the top) but it was quicker for me to do the AC trick. I have to take the dash off again anyway because I'm making a custom interior similar to the new concept Continental. So when I put that in I'll do the heater core properly.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23508&stc=1&d=1167939070

small.jpg

Limey said:
Nice idea.

I was beginning to think I had the only Mark VII in the UK, do you know of any more?

We should stick together for the sake of knowledge...

Hiya Limey

I haven't seen any others around on my travels - even though friends keep telling me there is another one in my town that amazingly looks exactly like mine (mmmn!?)

About your ride height - with air bags should be around 28 inches from floor to wheel arch.

I am going to be getting rid of a few bits but your car looks immaculate! (Mine cost £800 on Ebay)

rustic302 said:
Hiya Limey

I haven't seen any others around on my travels - even though friends keep telling me there is another one in my town that amazingly looks exactly like mine (mmmn!?)

About your ride height - with air bags should be around 28 inches from floor to wheel arch.

I am going to be getting rid of a few bits but your car looks immaculate! (Mine cost £800 on Ebay)

Your friends are probably looking at the wrong side (for the driver) of your own car!
You got a good buy there I think. I actually paid £3,000 for mine (as a daily driver) but I was happy to do so as it's LPG converted, in nice condition, and I'd never seen another!

I'd definately pay that for yours, mine had no MOT - I had to do the brakes, lights, tie rods, all tyres, battery, recon alternator and some other bits to get it on road. I custom stitched some beige vinyl for the seats (original was all torn) but I will have to ship in some proper covers and get the outside repainted. Also a transmission overhaul could be due. That will be getting towards that kinda money and I still wouldn't have the LPG!

There were 2 for sale in Classic American when I bought mine. One was in there for ages at £5000 in Burgandy the other was one of the editors for around £1000 in Grey. That had LPG but the airbags were faulty it was included in a Buyers Guide feature on MKVIIs in Classic American. (Actually, if I can get my hands on a scanner, I will post the article here in the tech section or somewhere).

yes please! I'd love to see that. Which issue is it in?

So we know there's at least 4 Mark VII's here then. That does suprise me as to be honest, before I saw mine I had never seen or heard of them! (I only knew them up to the Mark V)

Arghh! My missus must have started spring cleaning.
I could only find a few of my magazines, luckily one of those had Part 2 of the article. Cover missing so no dates (looks around summer 2002). Took some photos of the article but cannot find the USB lead!!

rustic302 said:
Arghh! My missus must have started spring cleaning.
I could only find a few of my magazines, luckily one of those had Part 2 of the article. Cover missing so no dates (looks around summer 2002). Took some photos of the article but cannot find the USB lead!!
Page 2, 3, or 4 should have the complete issue number information in very small print near the bottom.

Get that to me and I'll do the rest.

I like heater cores.
Heater cores rock.

Limey said:
So we know there's at least 4 Mark VII's here then. That does suprise me as to be honest, before I saw mine I had never seen or heard of them! (I only knew them up to the Mark V)

Hey guys,

I live North Birmingham and have a '92 Bill Blass MK VII, theres another one for your UK total!! I also have a '73 Continental MK IV which i hope to get running for summer.

Magazine starts on page 5! Looking at Club Events and advert deadline it appears to be Jan or Feb 2003

yeah dude i was thinking maybe someone did that to mine before. im not sure, when i bought the car i had no ac, but if i turned the ac on i would get awesome heat. i dont really need ac i can stand the heat of the summer most of the time. its the iwnter that gets me.

but since my ac works as a heater maybe someone did that to my car before i bought it? ? ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back