Grand Marquis, reliable?

greg9807

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering if I could get some insight on this car. Im considering between them and a Lincoln Town Car, but im on a tight budget so the Grand Marquis looks like a better deal. I know the TOwn car is probably better but id like to find out about this car also.

Are they reliable, say compared to a Town Car (Im looking at 95-97's)? Do they last as long (I know town cars can last over 200,000 miles). Are they expensive to repair?

The ones I am looking at have around 60-80k.

town car no!!!

Buy a Grand Marquis instead, low maintainance, low price ( YOU CAN STEAL THESE CARS WITH JUST A FEW MILES ON THEM). THE TOWN CAR IS WAY OVERPRICED FOR THE SAME OLD TECHNOLOGY. I have had 2 of them.
But if you want to have some real fun buy a real nice 1 year old LS, you can steal these too, don't ask me why but they have the worst resale values of any sport/luxury car. I have one that I stole so I don't care about resale value.
Dave T.

just make sure that the grand marquis' intake manifold has been updated from that plastic POS! it is a factory defect, becareful.

I had a 92 Grand Marc and It is the luxury version of a Crown Vic.
Great car,great ride,no problems.
I sold it with 150k (still drove like it had 30k on it ) and never did anything but tune up,and oil changes.
6 yrs later I still see the car driving around town.
It was 1 of the most reliable cars and best riding cars I have ever owned !!!
(P.S I HAVE OWNED AROUND 90 CARS IN MY LIFETIME)

Grand Marque!

I owned a 95 Grand Marque. Best car I ever owned. Drove it for 273K miles. My daughter totaled it one night. Hated to see it go. Reliable, inexpensive to maintain, and a good highway car. Buy one. You will be glad you did.

Regards, MC Murray

Merc Marquis

I have a "92 Grand Marquis with about 300k. I put a gasket on the oil filter & a fuel pump. The only draw back that I have experienced is the power windows.
One more thing. The valve stem seals on the '92 were not the best. I think that they fixed that in late models as I have talked to other owners who have no problems in that area. Every Merc owner I have talked to has said they will buy another one.
My brother has been a Ford mechanic for over 29 years & he says that it is one of the best cars Ford ever made.
You just can't wear these things out.
Good Hunting.

I was wondering if they still make the digital dash for these,it must be an option. I saw the digital dash on the mercury website, but i cant find a newer one with it on ebay.

95ltc said:
I was wondering if they still make the digital dash for these,it must be an option. I saw the digital dash on the mercury website, but i cant find a newer one with it on ebay.

My wife's 2000 Grand Marquis has the digital dash. I think they are discontinueing them for 2006. And just so the original poster knows the TC and the GM are both built on the panther platform. So in essence they are the same car.

They are the same exact car mechanically. I think the springs are different in the Town Car(more cushiony). I owned an '89 Grand Marquis and other than normal maintenence it never gave me a problem, and I beat the SNOT OUT OF IT! I own an '89 Town Car now, the ride is a lot better and it too has NEVER given me a problem. Both good cars, it's just up to your decision on looks...

If you want a Grand Marquis with a digital dash at 60 to 80k miles, then your best bet is what I did. Get an XJ8 99 or newer. I've seen these for less than $10k.

They come standard with heated front and rear seats, memory seats/wheel/mirrors, decent stereo, and power everything. And did I forget to mention that the dash is digital? Mostly digital (odo, trip, computer, diagnostics etc). The Speedo and tach are analog which I like.

I paid 16 for mine cause it had only 41k miles.

But HEY! These puppies originally sold for 6 0 Gz!

Plus they have an independent rear suspension with disc brks(The only true drawback of the crown vics and g marquis line).

tkacenkob said:
If you want a Grand Marquis with a digital dash at 60 to 80k miles, then your best bet is what I did. Get an XJ8 99 or newer. I've seen these for less than $10k.

They come standard with heated front and rear seats, memory seats/wheel/mirrors, decent stereo, and power everything. And did I forget to mention that the dash is digital? Mostly digital (odo, trip, computer, diagnostics etc). The Speedo and tach are analog which I like.

I paid 16 for mine cause it had only 41k miles.

But HEY! These puppies originally sold for 6 0 Gz!

Plus they have an independent rear suspension with disc brks(The only true drawback of the crown vics and g marquis line).

They aren't exactly reliable, and parts are definately a lot more expensive than a Grand Marq or a T/C

greg9807 doesn't specify a year range in his internal debate between a Grand
Markquis verus a mid-Nineties Town Car. Personally, I prefer the slightly
longer wheelbase and smaller, more vertical rear window of a Townie; but, of course, I buy older ones than most folkon this BB consider. No, I would not get the digital dash. Yes, the late 1980s models of both are more reliable than
anything since. The main thing is to be patient and find a good one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back