Gotta dead overhead console! HELP!!

eclipseproduction

LVC Member
Reaction score
My outside temperature/compass display on my 84 went dead last week. According to the EVTM and the manual, I should check the T/C module but it isn't real clear about where the darn thing is.

I suspect it's attached to the overhead console itself but I wanna be sure before I pull the unit down. Is that where it is or am I in for a "behind the dashboard" search?

Thanks!! BTW, Happy New Year to you guys!! :L

eclipseproduction said:
My outside temperature/compass display on my 84 went dead last week. According to the EVTM and the manual, I should check the T/C module but it isn't real clear about where the darn thing is.

I suspect it's attached to the overhead console itself but I wanna be sure before I pull the unit down. Is that where it is or am I in for a "behind the dashboard" search?

I've never worked on one but am curious as to what you found out.

Yes - please let us know. I would guess its up there also, but if not - it'll probably be near the fusebox

eclipseproduction said:

Good to here you are still with us!!

Check out the Midwest Forum for the Auto Show Meet.

There have been a few on eBay if you are looking for a swap!

bump

Hey Eclipse, any luck with the overhead? Mines been dead for a couple of weeks now, checked fuses etc... still can't figure it out.

the overhead console is self contained and usually something fried on
PC board -like capacitor or transistor -- few quick power checks at connector
will confirm -- also look for ground lead under dash by steering column
they get loose / corroded and will turn it off -- the only other signal
I know about is from the trip minder but it just signals metric readings
as selected from display options -- I had to replace mine
because the compass would not go into calibration or variation
adjustment schedule -- E-bay was only source --
Good luck --

I have an additional question that relates to the first question. I also have a dead overhead console. I purchase another on E-Bay however I am not able to remove the old console without using some force. It appears that the overhead console housing is attached with two Phillips screws on the outer edges near the door on the outside edge of the visors. However the unit seems to be attached somewhere in the middle by the console. Does anybody know how to remove overhead console or the housing panel without destroying the housing for the visors or the console? :L

majcole said:
I have an additional question that relates to the first question. I also have a dead overhead console. I purchase another on E-Bay however I am not able to remove the old console without using some force. It appears that the overhead console housing is attached with two Phillips screws on the outer edges near the door on the outside edge of the visors. However the unit seems to be attached somewhere in the middle by the console. Does anybody know how to remove overhead console or the housing panel without destroying the housing for the visors or the console? :L

I am new to this thread stuff, but I found site that helped me to remove the console: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article76.html :dancefool

majcole said:

The wiring harnesses are screwed into the console. You will need a very small Phillips head screw driver to undo the screws and then carefully, and with difficulty, disconnect the harnesses. Boards can be swapped from '84-'92, but '90 plus cars have different warnings in the console.

Follow what Walt said. Check for power and ground with a multimeter. If you have power, swap the console or the board. I had to do it for a console that would dim too much.

That is a great tech article on headliner change -- I bet it
Took more time to put the article together then it did to
actually change the headliner
Its fantastic to see others share their experience
and help others

As I just had mine down, I disassembled it to see why it was dead.
Sure enough, there was a capacitor blown.
But if you don't know how to use a meter, the way to tell a bad capacitor(the round canister looking thing) is to look around the base of the unit on the pc board. Usually they leak when bad so you'll see some brown staining like a bleed-out. Just replace it and you should be good to go. I had a dead trip computer, same thing. replaced a capacitor...works great now. I guess Ford didn't choose their parts well cause I've seen a lot of dead overheads.

Note to self ...

Awesund knows what a capacitor is so when electronic stuff blows up, post a question to him.

Thanks Bro! When can I start shipping my dead stock radios to you for repair?

OldSchool1 said:
Note to self ...

Awesund knows what a capacitor is so when electronic stuff blows up, post a question to him.

Thanks Bro! When can I start shipping my dead stock radios to you for repair?
Nooooooo don't! :eek: lol...
I'll certainly research something for you if you'd like.

xllsc007 said:
U need a new overhead unit, or rebuild it.
Now, why didn't I think of that... :D

Okay, seriously... I finally replaced 3 capacitors. 2 of them were leaking badly. (pic)

After re-installing the unit. Still dead, but came on later that night when it got cold outside.
The new capacitors fixed something, because the temp was accurate now, where as before it was way off.

I'll continue the quest when the bug hits me again... Stay tuned.

Pics below... Look at the Technology jump from 1985 to 1991. Incredible!
The '85 at top has tons of huge resistors. '91 Below, mostly microprossesor..all labeled Motorola.

Dead Caps1.JPG

Overhead 85.JPG

Overhead 91.JPG

Members online

Back