gears for the mark VIII

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Do you have to buy a whole new rear end or can u just get new gears and put them in, like I could with my 99 t/a? Also if you get 3.73's or 4.10 gears and have them installed, how do you get your speedo reset? ALso what is traction lock?

thanks,
scott

On my 97 I pulled the center section and sent it out to have new gears put in. Since then I have occassionally seen complete rears on ebay with the 373's.The cost was actually a little less to buy a unit on ebay.I opted to go with the new gears in my rear,that way I knew exactly what I was getting. The speedo gear needed to be replace. They are available at the ford dealer and was only about $12.00. All I had to do was pull the cable lift the old gear off and slide the new one in. Very easy to do.

so if I have a 3500 stall converter do you all think a 4.10 would work out well?

Viss said:
3500? Jeez, I have a 2800 and I feel mine is too high
wow so what about the rest of you, what is your stall speed and gears.

I have been using a PI 3500 with 4.10's for years now. Theres no such thing as too much stall when you have an electronic lock up converter. You cannot even feel the stall because of this. Its no problem.

2 things to remember with this car, do not fear the gear or the stall.

Last edited:
dertyclown said:
wow so what about the rest of you, what is your stall speed and gears.

For stall speed, it's not the more the better. It's more like fitting keys to a lock (from what I've heard at least)... I have a 3200 RPM stall converter but no gears yet... workin on 4:10's or 4:30's this summer. 3200 seems to be just right so far and I think it will work out quite well with the gears and posi. Also, Trac-Loc is a little less expensive posi system.

Ive looked for driveshafts before and havent been able to find any. How much does a new driveshaft that will keep up with 4.10's cost?

Dern Humpus said:
Ive looked for driveshafts before and havent been able to find any. How much does a new driveshaft that will keep up with 4.10's cost?

Click the pic for the best mmx ds on the market today. $485.00

Members online

No members online now.
Back