First Continental, Exhaust replacement

dragantoe

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got a 2000 Lincoln Continental and all the major problems have been fixed at this point except the exhaust piping past the cat is almost rusted through, and I want to get new mufflers as well.... So I would just like some suggestions on what to get.
Should I just replace the 2.25" piping that's already there or go wider? Also should I go magnaflow or flowmaster for the muffler? I'm not too picky about it being loud, I just want less back pressure and better gas mileage is always welcome :) . My budget is somewhat flexible, I would like to keep the parts under $400, and I'm not getting a new cat (yet)...

Well, if you have the chance to go bigger piping you might as well, it can't hurt. Gotta let that engine exhale a bit ;)

I don't have any input to give you otherwise, I know a couple guys on here have done exhaust work though.

Welcome to the club. I went through this headache a while back. Depending on how savvy shops are around your area, or how skilled you are, you may or may not be able to get much work done on the pipes. I know the shop I went to in my town was extremely lazy and basically told me they couldn't replace the pipes. Hopefully that's not an issue for you.

From a previous post I was informed that 2.25 is only enough to support 180 HP. What's worse, that piping gets even smaller after the Y pipe and turns into 2" before the mufflers; which is extremely restrictive. Every effort has been made to quiet the ride down. My new plan is to get a high flow cat and maybe some Magnaflow 11124's for the rear. Continentals don't have much room for upgrades sadly. Kinda wish ground_zero298 would come back and bestow his exhaust knowledge upon us.

sry for late response, but what do you think is the biggest piping that could fit under there? My dad is convinced 3 inch will fit, but I think he's crazy... Also, I was going to get rid of the resonator underneath, would the be wise?

The dual 2 inch after the split isn't as bad as the rest. Two 2 inch = roughly the flow of a single 2.7 inch pipe, so that's more than what is being fed into it.

If exhaust size is going to change during the run, you want it to gradually get larger. The factory got the right idea but they just started off too small :D

I recommend Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers. They are the best flowing muffler and sound awesome! If you're in an area where you don't have to have stainless they have regular aluminized versions for a cost savings too.

I recommend Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers. They are the best flowing muffler and sound awesome! If you're in an area where you don't have to have stainless they have regular aluminized versions for a cost savings too.

How do these compare to magnaflows around the same price range? Also, I want my continental to stay reasonably quiet on the highway, having this car sound like a gt40 is just silly XD
Quite honestly I want the walker quietflows but my dad (who is helping me fund this as a birthday gift) wants a muscle car sound...

What is the size before the split and how wide can I stick under there without further modifications? I would like this to be a one and done deal... after I get this exhaust system I dont want to have to worry about it anymore... Just trying to let the engine breath comfortably

How do these compare to magnaflows around the same price range? Also, I want my continental to stay reasonably quiet on the highway, having this car sound like a gt40 is just silly XD
Quite honestly I want the walker quietflows but my dad (who is helping me fund this as a birthday gift) wants a muscle car sound...

I think magnaflows are a little more expensive but not sure. If you want quiet you should get the Dynomax Ultraflow stainless versions. They have an extra wall in the case. The ultraflows have a more muscle sound and the magnaflows have a higher pitched smoother tone. Dynomax is the performance version of Walker. The Ford Lightning had a Dynomax muffler from the factory etc.. Dynomax quiets down on the freeway... it's not like a flowmaster.

I think magnaflows are a little more expensive but not sure. If you want quiet you should get the Dynomax Ultraflow stainless versions. They have an extra wall in the case. The ultraflows have a more muscle sound and the magnaflows have a higher pitched smoother tone. Dynomax is the performance version of Walker. The Ford Lightning had a Dynomax muffler from the factory etc.. Dynomax quiets down on the freeway... it's not like a flowmaster.

Oh ok, I'll go for those then, any specific model I should look at?

I think either of these two mufflers will work. One is offset, offset and the other is center in, center out. Probably look at your car before you order and decide what would work better. They're both 2 1/2 pipe inlet, outlet. I'm going on the assumption of 2 1/2 pipe from the front to the back.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17263/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17263/10002/-1

thanks! although with the straight design I'm skeptical of how it reduces interior resonance

You're welcome.

You would think that but my buddy has a Dynomax cat back exhaust on his Expedition that came with that same muffler but in 3". On the freeway cruising at 65 you have to strain yourself to hear it. That might be an apples to oranges comparison with the driver being farther away from the exhaust in the expedition then a continental but Dynomax quiet down on the freeway. It's not a cambered muffler like a flowmaster where to cancel the sound there are walls inside that bounce the sound at itself. That creates resonance.

You might have a point that the offset offset muffler could be slightly quieter but that's a straight through design too it just has a gentle bend in it. You might not want to go to 3" pipe in the middle of the car if you're worried about resonance because bigger pipe will have a deeper, bassier sound at all rpms. 2 1/2 would be good or maybe 2 3/4 if the shop can do it

Another thing to consider, if you do get unwanted droning on the highway you can always look into sound deadening material. I personally have an obnoxious sound system and had a rattle trap for a trunk, I installed a few sheets of Murder Mat 80mil butyl deadening mat on the trunk lid and now it shuts like a vault and barely rattles. This stuff can be applied to your floors, doors, roof, etc to reduce noise.

They will 'fit' but they will have to be 'installed' like any other aftermarket muffler. The stock mufflers are huge compared to these. Let me know how it goes

Members online

No members online now.
Back