Exhaust Manifold Gasket...PITA??

lsondubz

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well every morning when I start up the LS it has a slight ticking noise from the passenger side of the motor, When I throw it in to reverse it gets a little louder then when I pull out of my driveway and head to work it fluxuates with the throttle but after about 3-4 minutes and the car is warmed up it goes away...It sounds exactly how my buddies camaro was when he had to replace his exhaust gaskets due to a small leak, Has anyone else had this problem or had them replaced...it looks like a huge pain to get at this so I might just take it to a mechanic/exhaust shop....

I have to admit, I haven't looked that close at it...but most 32V engines are a real PIA to replace manifold gaskets. But it's very unusual to have one go bad too. I would try jacking the car in air (with jackstands of course) and crawl under it and start it while it's cold. It very well could be where the header pipe connects to the manifold. That would be a much easier repair.

There is 0% room in there for this to be a DIY project... had mine replaced as an out of warranty adjustment.

It can be done in your garage, but you had better be pretty well equipped. You may need to lift the motor from side to side, lots of extensions and wobblies, etc.

lsondubz said:
What did you have replaced? Cost?

The exhaust manifolds were replaced. It was an out of warranty adjustment which means it didn't cost me anything.

lsondubz said:
Well every morning when I start up the LS it has a slight ticking noise from the passenger side of the motor, When I throw it in to reverse it gets a little louder then when I pull out of my driveway and head to work it fluxuates with the throttle but after about 3-4 minutes and the car is warmed up it goes away...It sounds exactly how my buddies camaro was when he had to replace his exhaust gaskets due to a small leak, Has anyone else had this problem or had them replaced...it looks like a huge pain to get at this so I might just take it to a mechanic/exhaust shop....
Yeah.......it is a huge PITA because as was posted before, there is no room. Assuming you have the V8, if you were to take it to a dealership or shop, they would charge you for 3.1 hours to replace both sides (or 2 hours for one side)

Assuming you just need the exhaust manifold gaskets, those are around $10 dollars a piece (assuming i looked that up properly--part number XW4Z9448AC). However, if your exhaust manifolds are warped, those are around $170 for the right side (part number XW4Z9430AE) and 370 for the left side (part number XW4Z9431BA).

So you can do the math and figure out how much it will be if you just replace the passenger side/right side gaskets, it will cost you around $250. But if your exhaust manifold is warped, it will cost you about double that. Hope this info helps.

Im just wondering where it would be coming from...Im taking it in to an exhaust shop or my mechanic the only thing though is it only really does it while its cold in the morning so I might have to drop it off....

Members online

No members online now.
Back