Engine Swap Options for 90-97

unseenthings

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have read that you can put a 94-97? mustang engine in, 94-97? Cobra and a Mark VIII engine in, what years of Mark 8?
I have also read that these early 4.6 are severly underpowered, at like 225hp.
The later 4.6 mustang engines in like 98-99ish start at 260hp. Will 98up 4.6's work in the 90-97 TC if one get the engine, tranny, ECU, harness and what-not?
2ndly, the 96up has a plastic intake manifold I hear is prone to cracking, is there a aftermarket metal intake? I know there is one for mustang 4.6, but haven't seen one for the other 4.6's
Thanks
Brian :feedback

unseenthings said:
I have read that you can put a 94-97? mustang engine in, 94-97? Cobra and a Mark VIII engine in, what years of Mark 8?
I have also read that these early 4.6 are severly underpowered, at like 225hp.
The later 4.6 mustang engines in like 98-99ish start at 260hp. Will 98up 4.6's work in the 90-97 TC if one get the engine, tranny, ECU, harness and what-not?
2ndly, the 96up has a plastic intake manifold I hear is prone to cracking, is there a aftermarket metal intake? I know there is one for mustang 4.6, but haven't seen one for the other 4.6's
Thanks
Brian :feedback

You have less than 225, more like 205 HP. You have the same engine as the 1996-2004 Mustang GT and 1994-1997 Thunderbird LX. Same block and all. The only difference is the heads. If you want more HP, do the following to your 4.6:

PI Heads (99+ Mustang GT, 2001+ Town Car, Vic, Marq)
PI Intake with aluminum crossover (solves the cracking problem; aftermarket is less than $200).
Mercury Marauder 80mm MAF/ airbox.
Underdrives
Ported plenum
A damn good tune
A 2.5 inch true dual exhaust with x-pipe and Dynomax's
Longtubes from ADTR

With that combo, you'll see over 300 HP.

As for a DOHC swap, those who claimed to have done it and post over the Net can't seem to put their money where their mouths are. No proof at all. One idiot claimed to have swapped-in a DOHC from a Continental, but disappeared when I challenged him and informed the rest of the board that the Conti 4V cannot swap into a RWD vehicle because it is a FWD engine with different engine and tranny mounts; so a Conti swap would be impossible.

However, it is possible with time, MONEY, and tools/ knowledge. The only DOHC swap into a Panther-platform vehicle I've seen was done by Bob Bondurant; who swapped a 98 Cobra engine into a 1999 Police Interceptor. But Bondurant did TONS of modifications and fabrications. It won't be easy. If you have a 2003+ Panther car, you can swap a DOHC easily because they changed the suspension and other components.

There are plenty of options. If you have any further questions, or want to know what fits, don't be afraid to ask.

Whatever I get, I will be doing a complete teardown and rebuild, and I was thinking that building a all alum block would be better weight wise. Are the alum shortblocks the same as the cast iron? In other words, can I rebuild my current 4.6 using a alum block, and the above listed PI heads and intake, or would that be less efficent than rebuilding using the DHOC heads, either the Mark 8 or Cobra heads?

If I have the same engine as a 96-up Mustang, will the superchargers for the 96+ Mustangs fit?

The aluminum blocks were made by an Italian company named "Teskid", they build Ferrari blocks. That aluminum block can take whatever you throw at it. The block will fit the Panther cars, but the DOHC heads are taller and wider, and may get in the way of other engine bay components. The PI heads will bolt right in; the blocks are identical, just cast in different metals. The aluminum block weighs 80 pounds less than the iron 4.6 block.

Go with Mahle pistons and manley rods along with a steel Cobra crank and your 4.6 will be indestructable! Then blow it with this Kenne Bell SC and never look back... :gr_devil:

BTW, you can get that setup WAY cheaper than what that seller is asking...

Cool beans, thanks alot...... Nothing like mixing class with power... My current build project is a 1969 Cadillac Hearse with a 500ci block bored 060 over, tweeked to the tune of near 400hp. So i'm new to the 4.6, but not to engines :) The 4.6is my next project for my 95 TC.......too bad TC speedos don't read above 120mph :>

From what i've been reading, the Teskid blocks (F2LE) where discontinued in 98, and their are also F6LE, F6ZE, F7LE, and who knows what else not made by Teskid. What the quality of these vs the F2LE?

Not as good, but damn close. I have yet to hear of any aluminum block dying-out, even under serious boost. Your internals will quit before the block...

A custom-burned chip from companies like superchips Custom Tuning...

unseenthings said:
From what i've been reading, the Teskid blocks (F2LE) where discontinued in 98, and their are also F6LE, F6ZE, F7LE, and who knows what else not made by Teskid. What the quality of these vs the F2LE?

I did forget to mention that the newer aluminum blocks are 4-bolt mains as opposed to our 6-bolt mains- which gives our more durability..

Putting PI heads on pre 99 blocks makes 10-1 compression, no? But from what I understand, high compression ratios aren't boost friendly?

unseenthings said:
Putting PI heads on pre 99 blocks makes 10-1 compression, no? But from what I understand, high compression ratios aren't boost friendly?

Correct; you'd have get boost-friendly pistons. A company called Diamond makes LC pistons all the way down to 7.5:1 for the 4.6, STD or overbore.

BTW, that PI 10:1 CR is calculated for non-California emissions 4.6's. CA emissions-equipped modulars will see slightly less compression...

Members online

Back