electrical problem

Motts

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I just bought a 1972 Ford F100.. I'm having a little issue, maybe someone can point me in a new direction... Just bought it last week.. its started fine all week, has new battery/alternator... its mint condition besides the.. starting problem.. its like it'll start one day.. then the next it wont even turn over.. no click... nothing.. if I jump it.. It'll start and be fine.... any ideas?

sounds like the soleniod is starting to go bad ( my gpa had this happen it might just be luck that it starts randomly.. try chaging the solenoid on the fire wall(weird that ford does it this way but check it)

Jump the solenoid

When it wont start, jump the solenoid with two screwdrivers. Go from the small terminal on the side to the big terminal on the starter side of the solenoid. If it does not turn over at that point, it is more than likely a bad ignition switch. It happened all of the time in my 72 F250. Replaced three solenoids until I realized it was the switch.

Also check to see if all of the connections are tight and that the grounds are good.

Motts said:
Well I just bought a 1972 Ford F100.. I'm having a little issue, maybe someone can point me in a new direction... Just bought it last week.. its started fine all week, has new battery/alternator... its mint condition besides the.. starting problem.. its like it'll start one day.. then the next it wont even turn over.. no click... nothing.. if I jump it.. It'll start and be fine.... any ideas?

For a lot of great help with your Ford truck go to this web page...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Lots of helpful people on topics pertaining to Ford Trucks and some general automotive.

Maybe solenoid or could be dirty connections or weak starter.

Double check that the battery terminals are clean and shiney metal. Sometimes there is a kind of oxide(almost like shiney black plastic) that gets in there that even though the terminal isn't all gunked up, it doesn't make a good connection. Use a terminal cleaner to clean the terminals and the connectors.

I would also check the cables going to the starter and the solenoid. Makes sure the connections are clean and tight.

The solenoid might be bad but I don't think jumpstarting would work except out of luck, if the solenoid is bad. Doesn't hurt to check tho.

The age of your truck makes me think it is a dirty connector somewhere.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

i'll check that as soon as i get home.. will keep you posted.. thanx

Members online

Back