Ebay ~ Is It Worth It?!

Sifrino3

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I have been taken from twice. Two High flow cats and a cap for my sound system. But even though I have bought 100s of things off of there. Them two always stick with me.

But let me get to my point. How far will you go. If Summit sells the item for $240 plus $10 for shipping. But the guy selling that same item. Started his bid at $1. But has shipping at $22. But now six days later out of seven. The price of the item is at $160 with $22 to ship.

Now even though it is still way below normal pricing from dealers. You know when you buy from a dealer. It will ship out that day and ussually take around 3-5 days. But most the time it is there within 2 days. How much is that worth to you, knowing that? $10 or maybe even $20.

So, the price of the guy selling his item on Ebay would have to be below, $198 or $220 shipped. Right? But lets add another thing into this. Summit you know 100%, you will receive the item. How much is that worth to you? Is there really a price on that?

Hmmm. . .

for what its worth, I was once taken on ebay for $400 for a watch.

Joeychgo said:
for what its worth, I was once taken on ebay for $400 for a watch.

My wifes Father/Mother was taken for $350 for a watch, ring, and neckless. But they did receive the other half of there order from him. That was a watch/etc. But the watch didn't work and they never could get it to work!

Details, the glass was rounded but the needles were not. So, the hands just kept getting stuck!

one thing you can do is make sure your pay to his paypal acct. I avoid anyone without paypay. Reason being, if you complain you didnt get the item they freeze his paypal acct until you get your moeny back -- and they give you whatever money he has in the acct.

I must be lucky or I ask the questions I need to. I have never been taken on eBay. You really have to look at the sellers feedback. Yes that can be falsified to some extent but the 'real' neg feedback is worth it's weight in gold.

I think what your asking is really a personal feeling type thing. Personally if I'm not saving like 30% of the retail price then it's not really worth it. An example is I'm currently shopping for a copy of Adobe Acrobat 6 Upgrade. It retails for $99 in Staples or any other office store. Strangely enough I've seen this got close to $200 on eBay in the last week at least three times.

If I can't score it for less than $70 shipped I might as well drive 10 minutes, pay the $99 and have it in my hand.

My 2 cents

I always check out the feedback and only look at the negative. If there is anything like, I never received my item or it took for ever. Or a big one, Never returns e-mails.! I hate that!

Joeychgo said:
one thing you can do is make sure your pay to his paypal acct. I avoid anyone without paypay. Reason being, if you complain you didnt get the item they freeze his paypal acct until you get your moeny back -- and they give you whatever money he has in the acct.

Not anymore, Paypal just lost literally MILLIONS in a class action suit because of that... I was one... I sent a guy a hard drive for $250 a few years back and then he complained to paypal that it wasn't SCSI3 (which it was) and paypal took the money back from my account and the guy never returned the Hard Drive... So now I'm finally getting my $250 after that class action lawsuit... don't think PayPal will be doing too much of the pre-emptive refunds without better investigations now-a-days.

I had to go through ebay to get my money back. It took three months but I am finally getting it. I firmly believe that you only truly get "had" if you don't have the will to fight it. It took a lot of effort for me to get my money back, but I got it. Not that I should have to go through all of it to get what's coming to me in the first place, but that's what it takes.

Well, the above $$$. At the end of the auction. It ended at $210.00 with 22 bids. At $22 for shipping. This product was with the options.

I bought this item for $ 219.88 from Summit. I ordered it Monday morning before the auction ended. Even when the auction ends. He isn't there to ship it out. He's on a trip. Also, shipping for my item was something around $8. So, total is around $228. This was without the options, though. If I wantedd the options $20 more. I spent #228 for what I needed. and the auction ended at $232 and I will be receiving the item way faster then the other guy.

I ordered it on the 4th of this month and is going to arrive on the sixth! Two days! But if I lived in NV. I think I would be loving every second of the delivery time!

You know, I spent $228 on it from summit. Whell, they refunded me $25. So, I only spent $203. It was due to a small crack on the left side of the fan.

Members online

No members online now.
Back