E on dash. Transmission stuck in a high gear

joeym427

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone , I fear that my Lincoln is dead. Since owning this car I have always feared the transmission going out and I fear that it just did. (I let my wife drive the car and it came back this way, not pointing fingers just a fact). It’s a 2004 v6 with 157k.

Anyways , the full story is that I haven’t driven the car consistently over the last two months. I’ve had to jump the car twice because of how little I drive it , new battery installed in February. If you’ve seen my posts in the past you’ll know that there’s a parasitic drain from a door module that contributes to this. Also it’s worth noting that I changed out the solenoid pack over 6 months ago (used OEM Bosch part).

I have a long long list of codes, most transmission solenoid related. Any recommendations ? I still have the old solenoid pack, I’m considering swapping it back in but I fear that there are other problems inside the trans. I fear that this is “the big one” that totals my car. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

04E92C0D-0FD9-4C98-BAB0-A378BAA184B7.jpeg

I changed out the solenoid pack over 6 months ago (used OEM Bosch part).

So why would you change out a used part... with a used part???

Per chance did you get the replacement solenoid pack off Ebay?

The ones on Ebay are advertised as "rebuilt". They don't actually rebuild anything. All they do is check the individual solenoids for operation... and re-adjust them.

So all you get from ebay... is a used worn out piece of junk that will fail prematurely.

The 2004 LS was known to have issues with the factory solenoid pack. They worked the bugs out of that... and there is a revised part with a different part #.

Before throwing in the towel... it might be worth trying a NEW solenoid pack... and re-adjusting or replacing the transmission range sensor, (also known as "reverse switch" or "neutral safety switch).

The range sensor can make things pretty quirky if not installed with proper alignment... or if the shifter cable is out of adjustment.

157k is not enough miles to trash the tranny, (if it has been maintained properly.

My 2004 had solenoid pack issues at 134k. Replacement OEM solenoid pack fixed the problem... and that was 9 years, and almost 100k ago.

Yup... the LS tranny should last for 250k... with proper maintenace/service... and OEM replacement parts.

So why would you change out a used part... with a used part???

Per chance did you get the replacement solenoid pack off Ebay?

The ones on Ebay are advertised as "rebuilt". They don't actually rebuild anything. All they do is check the individual solenoids for operation... and re-adjust them.

So all you get from ebay... is a used worn out piece of junk that will fail prematurely.

The 2004 LS was known to have issues with the factory solenoid pack. They worked the bugs out of that... and there is a revised part with a different part #.

Before throwing in the towel... it might be worth trying a NEW solenoid pack... and re-adjusting or replacing the transmission range sensor, (also known as "reverse switch" or "neutral safety switch).

The range sensor can make things pretty quirky if not installed with proper alignment... or if the shifter cable is out of adjustment.

157k is not enough miles to trash the tranny, (if it has been maintained properly.

My 2004 had solenoid pack issues at 134k. Replacement OEM solenoid pack fixed the problem... and that was 9 years, and almost 100k ago.

Yup... the LS tranny should last for 250k... with proper maintenace/service... and OEM replacement parts.

Last year (around august) I put a “new” solenoid pack into the car. Yes I bought it off eBay and it was listed as new. I inspected the part and it came packaged in a Bosch box and was inside in a Bosch bag with some trans fluid around it. I’ve probably driven 5k or so since installing it. With that said I only replaced the pack because I thought I was doing preventative maintenance, the old one had no issues. I just feared it would go at some point.

I’m sort of strapped for cash right now so I think for the price of Mercon I can tell if it’s the solenoid pack or not. I can also replace the range sensor as you have mentioned above. It’s worth mentioning that I have kept up with regular trans fluid changes.

you think a faulty solenoid pack could throw all these codes ?

You may want to check the main plug that goes to the solenoid pack. I know it's a tight area to work in... and you may not have gotten the plug seated completely/or cocked it... and/or may have bent one or more of the pins.

The plug should seat firmly in the electrical socket on the solenoid pack... and the bolt should tighten down easily... without any resistance.

If you had a problem with tightening the bolt on the harness plug... it most likely wasn't lined up... or you may have thought you got it tight... and it popped out.

Other than that... inspect the harness for any kinks, frayed wires, breaks... etc.

Per chance... was it raining the day the "E" code showed up? If it was... then something was exposed to the elements, that shouldn't have been... so you might want to re-check your work.

And yes... with all those codes... it appears that there is no communication between the PCM and solenoid pack.
It was very very cramped when I installed the solenoid pack. Maybe something just loosened up over the last 5k or so? The part really appeared to be new, so I’m hoping that maybe when I get in there I find out it’s not secured completely.
As for being exposed to the elements , it wasn’t raining when this occurred and the car sets outside. Haven’t really driven it since it was super cold out.

Thanks for the help! It’ll be a few weeks until I can get a free Saturday to do this work. I’ll let you know what I find out.

I actually cut a ratcheting combination wrench down to be able to get the transmission connector on and off a little easier. It's still a challenge, but a lot quicker than fighting with a ¼" ratchet.

These transmissions are notorious for several fatal weakness and I will disagree that 157k is too soon to have issues even with proper maintenance. If it does end up being a failed transmission, a remanufactured replacement by a company that knows how to rebuild and improve the factory weaknesses is the way to go.

These transmissions are notorious for several fatal weakness and I will disagree that 157k is too soon to have issues even with proper maintenance

That was mostly the Gen 1 transmissions. The separator plate was defective... and certain springs in the valve body would break.

The only known Gen 2 tranny issue, (that I am aware of), is the 2004 solenoid pack getting "quirky". By the time the Gen 2 evolved... most of the bugs were worked out of the 5r55s.

NOTE: Some 2003 and 2004 LS transmissions did suffer early failure... because the fluid manufacturer failed to put a certain chemical in the fluid. This caused extra friction and premature tranny failure. There was a TSB for a certain "build date range" ... where the additive was installed by the dealer. Some vehicles that were already sold, fell "through the cracks"... and never got the additive.

Define "proper maintenance" ???

Regular fluid & filter change intervals per the owners manual... and maybe sooner if the vehicle lives in the city, where it will do a lot more shifting and see a lot of "stop and go" traffic... and heat.

Shifter cables will wear... and need proper adjustment, as the cable stretches. Transmission range sensors may need periodic adjustment or replacement. The interval depends on how/where the vehicle sees most of its driving.

Drive bands need adjustment periodically. Yes... the 5r55s tranny is one of the few, (that i'm aware of), that still has adjustable drive bands. They used to be very common.

Use the recommended Mercron V fluid. Do NOT substitute any other fluid... especially the "universal" fluid found at Wally world, (same goes for engine coolant).

The transmission is easier to service... if the transmission crossmember is unbolted, and lowered slightly... (and supported by a jack stand). Especially for the drive band adjustment. It also helps with removing/adjusting the range sensor... and getting the bolt out of the plug on the solenoid pack.

Not necessary for just a fluid and filter change.

Beyond that... Yes... the servo bores will wear in BOTH gens of the tranny. This is where "regular service and maintenance" will slow down that wear.

Hopefully I don't jinx myself... but my 2004 LS tranny is coming up on 235k miles... with only regular fluid and filter changes... a range sensor replacement, shifter cable adjustment...drive band adjustment, and solenoid pack replacement. The solenoid pack was done 9 years... and 100k ago.

I actually cut a ratcheting combination wrench down to be able to get the transmission connector on and off a little easier. It's still a challenge, but a lot quicker than fighting with a ¼" ratchet.

These transmissions are notorious for several fatal weakness and I will disagree that 157k is too soon to have issues even with proper maintenance. If it does end up being a failed transmission, a remanufactured replacement by a company that knows how to rebuild and improve the factory weaknesses is the way to go.

that’s exactly how I did the install. Had to cut a swivel wrench to fit in the small area. I regret not taking pictures of the process , I feel like someone somewhere could benefit from having step by step instructions. (Granted my install may have not been successful hence the “E” on dash)

That was mostly the Gen 1 transmissions. The separator plate was defective... and certain springs in the valve body would break.

The only known Gen 2 tranny issue, (that I am aware of), is the 2004 solenoid pack getting "quirky". By the time the Gen 2 evolved... most of the bugs were worked out of the 5r55s.

NOTE: Some 2003 and 2004 LS transmissions did suffer early failure... because the fluid manufacturer failed to put a certain chemical in the fluid. This caused extra friction and premature tranny failure. There was a TSB for a certain "build date range" ... where the additive was installed by the dealer. Some vehicles that were already sold, fell "through the cracks"... and never got the additive.

Define "proper maintenance" ???

Regular fluid & filter change intervals per the owners manual... and maybe sooner if the vehicle lives in the city, where it will do a lot more shifting and see a lot of "stop and go" traffic... and heat.

Shifter cables will wear... and need proper adjustment, as the cable stretches. Transmission range sensors may need periodic adjustment or replacement. The interval depends on how/where the vehicle sees most of its driving.

Drive bands need adjustment periodically. Yes... the 5r55s tranny is one of the few, (that i'm aware of), that still has adjustable drive bands. They used to be very common.

Use the recommended Mercron V fluid. Do NOT substitute any other fluid... especially the "universal" fluid found at Wally world, (same goes for engine coolant).

The transmission is easier to service... if the transmission crossmember is unbolted, and lowered slightly... (and supported by a jack stand). Especially for the drive band adjustment. It also helps with removing/adjusting the range sensor... and getting the bolt out of the plug on the solenoid pack.

Not necessary for just a fluid and filter change.

Beyond that... Yes... the servo bores will wear in BOTH gens of the tranny. This is where "regular service and maintenance" will slow down that wear.

Hopefully I don't jinx myself... but my 2004 LS tranny is coming up on 235k miles... with only regular fluid and filter changes... a range sensor replacement, shifter cable adjustment...drive band adjustment, and solenoid pack replacement. The solenoid pack was done 9 years... and 100k ago.
Today I swapped in the old OEM solenoid pack and sadly nothing changed. I inspected the solenoid pack that was in the car and it was pretty snug , I paid particular attention to the bolt connecting it to the wiring harness. Everything seemed to be okay with nothing obvious sticking out.
I’m considering taking it in to a garage to be looked at as I’m not sure what the issue is.

Still most likely serms to be an issue with the wiring harness somwhere.

Or possibly... you didn't disconnect the battery before working on the solenoid pack.

If that is the case... you may have "zapped" something when unplugging the harness.

Even though you may think you looked closely at the, (male), pins... it's still possible something got bent when re-installing the plug.

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to say that my Lincoln is now fixed. 04_Sport_LS I think you were on to something. The fuse was blown, after replacing it the car is fully functional.

I still don’t know what the root cause is yet but I suspect the “new” solenoid pack off eBay (while Bosch OEM) ended up pulling up too many amps or shorted causing the fuse to blow. Either way I’m running with the original pack and the trans shifts fine.
Thank you all for the support.

Well the shop has officially abandoned working on my car, I gave them a monetary value to not exceed for diagnosis and they did all that they could. If anyone has any ideas as to what could blow the trans/EGR fuse please let me know.

I have had IMTV fault codes in the past but I’m not sure that this is on the same circuit. I also don’t really just want to slap a 20 amp fuse in as I don’t want to catch the car on fire.
Open to all ideas, thanks.

Try unplugging the EGR (electrical connector)... and replace the fuse again, (proper amperage).

Yeah... it will throw a code, and it may not run properly... but if the fuse doesn't blow again, you found your problem.

Try unplugging the EGR (electrical connector)... and replace the fuse again, (proper amperage).

Yeah... it will throw a code, and it may not run properly... but if the fuse doesn't blow again, you found your problem.
The fuse now blows as soon as I replace it. Unhooked the EGR and now it doesn’t blow anymore. Ever heard of a faulty EGR doing this ?

The fuse now blows as soon as I replace it. Unhooked the EGR and now it doesn’t blow anymore. Ever heard of a faulty EGR doing this ?

I know the EGR assembly has caused issues in the past with some LS owners... but I don't recall one blowing the fuse.

If I am reading this properly... you left the EGR unplugged... and replaced the fuse... and the transmission is working properly now???

Or did you plug the EGR back in... and the fuse didn't blow again???

Before you get too excited... I would check for a short in the wiring and connector for the EGR... just to make sure that isn't the problem.

If all is ok there... then I guess you found your problem.

I know the EGR assembly has caused issues in the past with some LS owners... but I don't recall one blowing the fuse.

If I am reading this properly... you left the EGR unplugged... and replaced the fuse... and the transmission is working properly now???

Or did you plug the EGR back in... and the fuse didn't blow again???

Before you get too excited... I would check for a short in the wiring and connector for the EGR... just to make sure that isn't the problem.

If all is ok there... then I guess you found your problem.
Just wanted to let you guys know what happened. I ended up slapping a 20 amp fuse in and unplugging the EGR. The car drove just fine after doing so. I think it’s probable that the EGR has a short based on this.

The car has a lot of issues some small and others that are just sort of a pain. Oil pan leak , lower main seal leak, small leak in the AC, broken door actuator , broken regulator. Not to mention the rear bushings are trash.
Because of these issues I’ve decided to part ways with my beloved Lincoln. I’ll never get the same thrill out of another car that I got with this car, it was a very fun and cool car to own. I wish all the owners out there good luck, I hope to join the forum again when I purchase my next Lincoln. Hopefully they make an electric Continental or something neat.

And I’m happy to say that the car did not meet the crusher , I sold it to someone who will enjoy it. Thank you all for the help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back