DVD video system!!!

Bud Nixon

LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone been exploring of a self made/wired/hooked up/connected system lately?????

I dont mind putting in a nice Kenwood, Clarion, Sony, etc brand name system that cost $1500+/- . My only concern is that those DVD players dont play DivX or XviD *.avi extension video. If you know what video format i am talking about , you will understand the need for a DVD player w/DivX capability.

Anyway, I've been looking on eBay, and thinking of doing something of this type and just wanted to get some other ideas/opinions. Feel free and open to discuss, just stay close the the subject.

here are some links:
2 RJ Portable DVD players w/DivX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15055&item=5775172425&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15055&item=5775170130&rd=1

and a LCD monitor of some kind... here are some choices...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67771&item=5774449352&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48607&item=5775917719&rd=1

Once again, LCDs are a matter of choice, you can do a flip down, or headrest or whichever is more comfy for you to use/install.

I was thinking center of the roof between the front seets for a flip-down would be perfect. Using one of the portable DVD players with all the necessary options is perfect, plus wiring couldnt be that hard.

There are LCD monitors with FM modulators build in them, meaning that you can use your installed stereo car speakers for sound, or do IR headsets for privacy. Anyways,,,

WHATCHA THINK? Project worth a try???

I am not sure when I could start on it, but could gladly take pics of the install process as well as time frame done, and price!!! if anyone interested!

Just convert them, just because they're much smaller and allow your movies to probably (depending.. I can imagine where) you get them from, from having two sides.

Use DVD2AVI and a few other choice tools like vcdgear and get them into a much better DVD-R format. Again, depending your 'order' in the chain in which you get them you should be able to rip right from the work prints, while keeping the dvd functionality in the menu they offer.

Most XVID have no menu, nor do the encoders that work on them care to do so... I would advise going DVDR ... divx is just bad karma, don't like em because they're 3/4 the size! hehe

P.S - If i were you, i'd setup a media center in the car, put your XVIDS/DIVX/DVDR/VCD/SVCD on a harddrive and interface them directly into the players like that. This way you can group up to 40GB of movies, without worrying about skips or bad cd's. Granted, a dvd-r copy will hold 4gb, so thats only 10 on the fly dvd's, but you can't go to 250GB if necessary. Perhaps a TB Array!!!??? hehe

They do work nicely via RJ, and also 802.11G (this is partly a project i'm working on with my car and an alpine iva-d300 head unit.

Can't wait to see the car you've got done!

didjital| said:
Just convert them, just because they're much smaller and allow your movies to probably (depending.. I can imagine where) you get them from, from having two sides.

Use DVD2AVI and a few other choice tools like vcdgear and get them into a much better DVD-R format. Again, depending your 'order' in the chain in which you get them you should be able to rip right from the work prints, while keeping the dvd functionality in the menu they offer.

Most XVID have no menu, nor do the encoders that work on them care to do so... I would advise going DVDR ... divx is just bad karma, don't like em because they're 3/4 the size! hehe

P.S - If i were you, i'd setup a media center in the car, put your XVIDS/DIVX/DVDR/VCD/SVCD on a harddrive and interface them directly into the players like that. This way you can group up to 40GB of movies, without worrying about skips or bad cd's. Granted, a dvd-r copy will hold 4gb, so thats only 10 on the fly dvd's, but you can't go to 250GB if necessary. Perhaps a TB Array!!!??? hehe

They do work nicely via RJ, and also 802.11G (this is partly a project i'm working on with my car and an alpine iva-d300 head unit.

Can't wait to see the car you've got done!

Well, cant wait either... I still need to get my car done before I get into such project, but I am already considering doing something as such.

Thing is ... my video libraty (99.99% DivX) is simply too large to be converting it or putting it onto a harddrive. I am mostly like,,, grab the laptop and go for it. FM modulator into headset outlet and use the car's speakers for sound.

Not much care for menu's of DVD, or the size or the less quality, I honestly dont think its really that big of a deal. TeleSync, or Cam stuff is bad quality and I stay away from that stuff.

Anyways, I got my car on wheels, and my complete interior is coming in this midweek, so I should be able to start her up and see how she runs hopefully by this weekend! Cheers :Beer :dancefool

If you go with a PC based system then you can integrate a scan tool in to the build later. I hate lugging the laptop into the car to do my scans and I do not like palm pc or pocket windows platforms. Wi-Fi and bluetooth will help you with file transfers and mouse/keyboard connections and potentionally the scan tool.

Plus you nwill be working with off the shelf products that are not proprietary which will ease the upgrading process, we all upgrade at sometime.

Bud Nixon said:
Not much care for menu's of DVD, or the size or the less quality, I honestly dont think its really that big of a deal. TeleSync, or Cam stuff is bad quality and I stay away from that stuff.

Long as your'e not watching ESOTERIC stuff ;)

Members online

Back