double din dvd player dash kit

happeny050

New LVC Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of a double din dash kit or how to customize a dash kit to fit a double din dvd player. i really want to put one in cuz they look so much better than the pop up ones.

I used the face off my dead factory HU to do this. PIA, but curious if anyone has a different idea.

stereo.jpg

Another idea we used was using two separate faceplate kits, one a LS single din and a ford explorer double din. I cut out the single din LS kit until the double kit for the explorer would fit into the cutout. Then use a lot of glue that specially used for abs plastic, build up and strengthen the the two joints with glue and sand down and we used a bumper repair kit from napa parts store to fill in the seam and sanded till smooth. and painted to match original Factoy head unit. Didn't come out too awefully bad, but an idea if you want to try it.

medium.gif

I just started another thread on this! I should have looked better. OLLY00...are you saying you used the face plate off of a factory Nav unit? That really looks nice! Did you have to modify it at all? Do you have the screen size of the Kenwood unit you are using? I guess I need to make a call and see if the face plate is available separetely. What are the chances of that....

Sorry for the delay, It's been a very busy week. This is not the face from factory NAV all though it would probably work. I removed the factory face plate from the standard tape deck unit that comes with the glove box CD changer. We used a drumel tool to cut out the opening (very difficult) so the standard double DIN install trim ring would fit. We were tring to make it look as factory as we could with what we had to work with. I believe the screen size is 6.5 inches.

I am planning on trying something with this on my LS, I done alot of different installs in cars. I have never attempted anything like that before. Is this install pretty basic or difficult? Would someone be willing to list the steps they went though to do this? Thanks

im doing that custome mod. i ordered a normal din face plate and i cut that to fit my dvd player very difficult to get it exact so im getting a wood grain dash kit to make it look even better ill post the pics soon

OLLY00 said:
I used the face off my dead factory HU to do this. PIA, but curious if anyone has a different idea.

Very jealous of this unit soon I will have one. Good work I am going to attempt to make it look like that. Need rims first then I will get that.

-Scott-

Members online

Back