Done With This POS

Ric

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
'03 LS Ultimate in ceramic white...loaded...'spensive. 12,000 miles, has been in the shop a dozen times...always for something different. Wheel bearings self destructed, entire head liner needed replacing, new coil pack, new MAF sensor, various and mysterious no start conditions and towed to the shop for the SECOND time this week alone...windshield wiper hub stripped it's splines in the pouring rain. Loved that car...looked great...enjoyed spanking those BMW's, but you are so outa here! Maybe I'll get an Aviator. I liked my Explorer and never had a problem with it.

You had a problem b/c they changed a lot between 2002-2003. The new engine gave them a lot of problems and Lincoln expected it. If you were to get the 2004, you wouldn't have any of those problems. I don't know if I would recommend the Aviator for the same reason. It is a brand new model so it will take at least a year to work out all the major problems. I would get the 2005 model if you do, not the 2004.

Gotta say, the dealership is bending over backwards to help me. The owner offered me an '04 with nothing out of pocket. I figure the Aviator is really just a tarted up Explorer...they got those things down pretty good.

jcavz24x said:
Should I stay away from the '02 LS?

You can get a bad car in any model. The LS is no exception. I'll agree that that Lincoln made over 500 changes from the 2002 to 2003 model LS. If I were to buy another LS I would either buy a 2002 LS or 2004 and up LS. There was certain years that Lincoln had some tweaking to do with the LS. The 2000 model year was pretty horrendous because it was a new model and there were plenty of note worthy items that would make you pull your hair out. I have a 2001 LS and the worse problem I've had with my car was the hard starting and it took almost a year to diagnose the problem. The problem being 4 leaky fuel injectors. Once those were replaced it's been a champ ever since.

Also, if you have a dealer that is willing to fix the problems and be very diligent about it makes owning the LS a little more tolerable. However, if you've paid good money for one you want it to be defect free. The dealer I work with here in my area is absolutely wonderful. They are Neill-Sandler Ford Lincoln Mercury. The service manager is Jimmy Cox and he will bend over backwards to make your service experience as painless as possible. This is why you buy a Lincoln to get this type of service. Service sells the car IMHO.

The Aviator was new in '03 not '04. I have an '03 and have had a couple issues but nothing major. Haven't checked out the new ones to see if my issues have been addressed so I can't say if the newer models are any better. The '05 will be the last from what I hear, so don't wait TOO long.
IMO, the Aviator is a GREAT vehicle. I traded a 2 year old GMC Denali in on it and still think I made the right move. It's a beautiful truck, handles great, and is actually quite powerful (ran a 15.7 at the track). I think it's a world away from an Explorer but I guess that's just my personal opinion.
My issues have been:
1. Wimpy seat belt retractors. Been replaced once and are on order again.
2. Wind noise from the right "B" pillar. The dealer has "fixed" it 3 times so far and it's still not right.
3. Rattle in the right "B" pillar. Been fixed 3 times and it's still not right.
4. Climate control ducting is poorly designed and therefore allows minimal airflow. This directly causes the automatic climate control to maintain high blower speed for WAY longer than it should. This is even with the rear system on.
5. The stereo sounds great but has limited power. REALLY NEEDS a bigger amp. Due to limited interior space, the local stereo shop is unable to locate room for another amplifier. BUMMER!
Obviously, the first two issues are "probably" unique to my truck but the last two are not.
I'm looking forward to doing some mods to the Aviator in the spring, mostly limited to intake and exhaust. I want to let that engine breath.

Members online

Back