Does not show D4 , just D5.

fabrizio

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I have an 2001 LS v8 ,

I notice when i shift to D4 the display still showing D5.
I have not get error message on dashboard.

I read that it could be a fuse or diode .something electronic.

Where to start to check?

Sometimes with the lever on D5 the 2 gear doesn't shift smoothly and it feels like a little shake and sound like something scratching.

Solenoid problem ? or sensor ?

Don't say that it could be the COP's :facesjump

regards!

i dont know the answer off the top of my head, especially for a gen 1, but i will help you out and ask a few questions that someone who might know will potentially want to know so you potentially get answers faster:
does your car have 'select shift transmission' aka 'sst'? in other words can you take the shift lever and put it in d5 and then throw the lever further to the right of d5 to change the gears up and down?

can you verify that the trans is actually going from d5-d4 when you throw the lever from d5-d4? ie. the trans is actually dropping into <or maxing out at> 4th after you throw the lever to d4, its just the dash thats showing d5? or are you throwing the lever to d4 and the trans is still going into <or staying> in 5th?

i dont have sst <and cant remember when i have driven others that did> so i dunno if the dash flips from d1-d2-d3-d4-d5 every time you switch gears using the sst?

regarding the symptom of the shift into <or out of?> 2nd.. that could be a number of things, cops included. i would personally tackle all of the easy stuff first, clean maf, run a bottle of injector cleaner, etc. bc the tiniest little changes to parts/gas/ambient air/etc will fck with the shift timings.

Hi
Thnx for reply.

I have not the "SST"

NO,The trans is not going from d5 to d4 , it does not slow down as when i do it down to d3-d2-d1.

At D4 shows D5
D5 to D4 shows D5

I don't know exactly if the symptom about 2nd it's shifting in or out.
If I shift the lever from d1 to D5 the symptom does not appear.

regards!

Hi
Thnx for reply.

I have not the "SST"

NO,The trans is not going from d5 to d4 , it does not slow down as when i do it down to d3-d2-d1.

At D4 shows D5
D5 to D4 shows D5

I don't know exactly if the symptom about 2nd it's shifting in or out.
If I shift the lever from d1 to D5 the symptom does not appear.

regards!

has it ever shown d4 ever sins you owned the car?

was it recent purchased?
maybe it had sst and before you purchased it they swapped out the sst shifter for the one thats in there now
just my 2 cents...

Sounds possibly like a shifter problem. I would get a "new" shifter and start from there. My shifter failed years ago and I couldn't access D4 until the shifter was diagnosed (by the dealer under warranty) as having a bad diode. The shifter was replaced and everything has worked normally since then.

I really don't know if d4 was shown before. The car was a kind of gift.
I'm learning about the car and how it should behave.

I'll try about the shifter .

Is the shifter plug and play ?

is it this part to replace http://www.fordpartslouisville.com/yw4z747210.html ???
or is an electronic part ?

thanks for reply !

regards!

I really don't know if d4 was shown before. The car was a kind of gift.
I'm learning about the car and how it should behave.

I'll try about the shifter .

Is the shifter plug and play ?

is it this part to replace http://www.fordpartslouisville.com/yw4z747210.html ???
or is an electronic part ?

thanks for reply !

regards!

Yes; HOWEVER, there is some console dis-assembly required and you have to crawl under the car to attach the shifter to the transmission. IIRC, there are instructions here....

This shifter has the SST option. You will lose D4 but will gain the SST functionality. I added this to mu old 2000 V6 some years ago. If you have a cooperative dealer you will be able to retain D4. I can let you know how, should you desire.

Here is the non-SST shifter.....

i sense a language barrier.. can you confirm that the issue is this:
when you have the shift lever in d4 that the dashboard is showing d5, and the car is still going into overdrive <5th gear>?

if so, is that really a problem worth throwing the $100+ at? the shifter should be plug and play, but i would not mess with it just yet if i were you. you can try following the battery disconnect procedure <then a drive cycle to see if you can smooth out the shift strategy> and see if that cures it before you drop the $100+ as well. ive never fixed the exact issue you are saying you are experiencing, but i have disconnected the battery and followed the procedures that must be completed after doing so <see owners manual and search for drive cycle procedure> in order to smooth out similar issues where i would shift out of P and be unable to find R. the dash would say R, but it was really in N. if it found R it would be very rough getting into or out of it. nothing needed to be replaced part-wise. it was completely an electronic issue <most likely related to pressures and/or pressure sensors> and it was gone by simply disconnecting the battery and following the procedures to clear the keep-alive memory.

Thanks LS4me & jrand.

Some weeks ago the battery was disconnected to make a safe radio update and other time to plug a mic,and connecting the center console speakers.

I was ok without D4 but now downhill i don't want to risk.
I'll confirm tomorrow at the highway. I realized that D5 to D4 can't do engine brake and the dashboard still showing D5 .
I've take some highways down hill lately ,the engine brake to d5 to 3 it's too hard and as You know, it has to slow down the speed to shift back , this case i miss one step "d4" and braking time.

thank you !

i have a gen 2 non-sst and my dash displays d4 when the shift lever is in d4 and d5 when the shift lever is in d5. i belive your gen 1 should do the same.

when you disconnected the battery you lost all of your shift parameters and keep alive memory. you need to clear the bad keep alive memory in it now and then reset it it properly by following all of the procedures. before you do that you should probably clean your maf, check your coils and plugs, run a bottle of injector cleaner thru it, and etc

Hi!

Now the dashboard display shows D4 when I move the shift lever to D4,it's not to quickly ,it's take like 1s sometimes less than that , other times i had to move it hard.

From D4 to D5 the display change almost immediately,either 1-2-3-2-1 D5.

I think it had dirt or a false contact. It's working better.:cool:

Before that, I was shifting all the road on stop go action.

I can feel how the engine brake works D5 to D4.

About the noise or hard engaged, I think it's from 1 to 2.

is it slipping ?

I'll try to record it.

thank you , regards!:Beer

Is the shifter replacement a DIY type of job or I am better off going at a garage ?? I have a 04 v6 LS and similar to fabrizio my car won't switch to d4.

Is the shifter replacement a DIY type of job or I am better off going at a garage ?? I have a 04 v6 LS and similar to fabrizio my car won't switch to d4.

A friend and I did it with a few tools at an autocross event. Took us about an hour. If you're at all mechanically inclined it's pretty easy.....

Thanks for the guide it's gonna be much easier that way ! What it the exact part I will need to replace in order that my d4 gear works ?? Thanks guys.

I think that it's most likely that the micro-switch in the assembly has failed.

Alright. Would you know the part number by any chance or a link to the part on a website that sells it ? If not it's all good bud thanks eitherway !

The weird sound just appears sometimes maybe when it's has been like 1hr travel just at stop-and-go events.

I found a video which describes how the sound was when shifting from 1 to 2nd. just to complete the post,the car has been seat and it's waiting for a transmission repair.

Any idea what could it be ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzytDpTcY7g

Ford's not going to sell you the micro-switch by itself. You'd have to take it out and figure out the manufacturer and part number and buy it from an electronics supply house.

My 02 also had this switch fail and this matches his symptoms exactly. You can get to everything right inside the car. I think I fixed my original switch with some glue and its still working many years later. In fact, I may have posted about it on LVC. I'll update with link if I find it- might have pics.

edit: see last post here when the issue was more fresh in my memory. Sorry, no pics, but its still easy to diagnose
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?40108-Fuel-Computer-Data-Error

Just replying to this thread with some additional info as i had this problem for a while and finally got the time to remove the shifter. The micro switch in the shifter is repairable. Its a very simple mechanism that can be disassembled. It works fine mechanically , but the voltage is not passing through the contacts inside. They seem to get covered in copper oxide probably due to humidity. Anyway put a piece of sandpaper like 800 or 1000 between the contacts, close them and sand them a bit. This solves it . For how long..... we will see :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back