DEW98 Wiring

mikepietras04

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
An interesting story I thought I would share.
The vehilce wasn't an LS, it was a Jag S-Type... but a DEW98 anyways.

Customer had a prblem with the courtesy light system. 10 amp fuse in rear fuse panel (for courtesy lamps) would blow shortly after reinstalling, never at the same time, intermittent.

Started with the DEW schematics, and searched from the fuse, to all points of destination. Removed all components on the specific circuit (dirver/passenger vanits lights, underdash lights, door lights, rear lights, dome light, map lights). And found no problems. Isolating each component one at a time.

Now, the pain in the ass was, you couldn't make the fuse blow whenever you wanted to.. so it was hard to find a short there in the shop. You had to actually drive the car for a period of time before it would blow (so obviously a vibration somewhere caused this).

Getting frustrated I did what any other frustrated person would do in this situation, I replaced the 10 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse, and added a toggle switch to a long lengle of 12 awg tandem wire to the front of the car (as an emergency kill for that fuse) and drove until the 30 blew! (yes, this was VERY dumb, and I understand the immense risk of fire.... but, this thing was a nightmare)

Finally... a burnt wire to trace. Burnt all the way from the fuse box, to the front junction, right intop the passenger side door. Turned out to be a bad light socket in the passenger door. When it had the right bump or vibration, it would short out, and blow the fuse.

Replaced the wire the whole length, replaced the socket, and shipped it. Never wan't to go through that ever again. I wish i had some pictures to post, the car was TORN apart. :slam

Members online

No members online now.
Back