Dang did I buy the wrong MK VIII?

Nosjunke

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought a 94 thinking 4.6 DOHC powa. Swap it into my 73 F100 add some performance parts and I'm good to go. Was thinking of swapping a 96-98 Cobra intake, but my heads are different or something? Couldn't get a full explaination, so I'd thought I'd vent here and see if any of you can post up and fill me in. I didn't want to go too crazy with the rebuild/performance stuff, but thought a cobra intake swap was definately in order along with the new TB/Intake, and long tubes. Add a tune redo the gears for the 4spd auto (Was an old C-6 trans). That's pretty much it.

Any thoughts about the Cobra intake swap, different heads I have, etc. please post up.

Thanks

what are you on about?

the 96-98 cobra and 93-98 Mark viii have very similar engines. the heads are nearly identical. different (exhaust maybe?) cams, but that's about it.

there are many threads about 96-98 cobra intake swaps here and elsewhere.

You mean all this stuff? LOL It will fit on all year Mk8's.
003.jpg

I called a modular performance shop and asked about doing the swap and he said something about square ports and round ports. He thought pre-96 were square ports and would not benefits from the Cobra swap. That's how one bit of bad info can wreck a project..lol Almost...Was about to put the car on craigslist!
Ok, so back in the market I go then.

I called a modular performance shop and asked about doing the swap and he said something about square ports and round ports. He thought pre-96 were square ports and would not benefits from the Cobra swap. That's how one bit of bad info can wreck a project..lol Almost...Was about to put the car on craigslist!
Ok, so back in the market I go then.

Most of the people that do the cobra intake on their mk8's are 97-98 cars. That intake is suppose to be kinda bad. The 93-96 cars can and do the swap but the 93-96 intake is better flowing then the 97-98 intake so not as big of a gain but still a gain.

square ports are any 93-98 4v head, after that is the round ports.

No offense but do some reading here on the cobra intake swap.

the 93-98 mark viii
and the 96-98 cobra have the same heads.

only difference is the intake and the crankshaft. thats it.

intake from best to worst are like this

1. Cobra
2. First gen Mark Viii (93-96)
3. Second Gen Mark VIII

square ports are any 93-98 4v head, after that is the round ports.

No offense but do some reading here on the cobra intake swap.

the 93-98 mark viii
and the 96-98 cobra have the same heads.

only difference is the intake and the crankshaft. thats it.

intake from best to worst are like this

1. Cobra
2. First gen Mark Viii (93-96)
3. Second Gen Mark VIII

Kinda true but not 100%. The chamber in the cobra heads has materiel removed to unshroud. The cobra has nicer intake cams. If you are building a budget mk8 motor find a set of cobra intake cams too for 200 max shipped.

the IMRCs changed from 93-96 to 97-98 with regards to circles and squares. maybe that is what he is thinking of.

93-96 mark, both circles on the intake side.

IMG_1936_zps1932215f.jpg

97-98 mark, 96-98 cobra, one circle, one square on the intake side.

IMG_1313_zpse8ce6f2f.jpg

they both look the same on the side that bolts to the heads. one circle, one square.

IMG_0414_zps59fa5097.jpg

Kinda true but not 100%. The chamber in the cobra heads has materiel removed to unshroud. The cobra has nicer intake cams. If you are building a budget mk8 motor find a set of cobra intake cams too for 200 max shipped.

meh, if you are building a budget mark motor, the cobra cams are probably not worth the price.
the fast Marks are running Mark VIII cams.
and DOHC engine timing does not look fun.

meh, if you are building a budget mark motor, the cobra cams are probably not worth the price.
the fast Marks are running Mark VIII cams.
and DOHC engine timing does not look fun.
Not really 200 is cheap for 2 cams and it adds up. Just because people are not doing it now does not mean its not a good thing.

It wouldn't be such a pain if Ford had just used the key for the cam sprocket.

Members online

No members online now.
Back